- To be participate in the simultaneous release announce the participation on the cross-project-issue-dev mailing list before M4:
Title: Trace Compass Participation in Neon release
The Trace Compass project will participate in the
Neon simultaneous release train with a offset of +3 and version 2.0.0.
Preparing for a release
- Create a release record well in advance to announce the release. Go to the project page and while logged in, use "Committer Tools"-> "Create new release" on the right. This can be done even before the preceding release is done. It is used to indicate our intention.
- About 2 months before the release, probably around but before RC1, make sure the corresponding release record is properly completed and ready for review.
- Deal with IP. Now that we only accept contribution through Gerrit, there really shouldn't be much to do.
- Generate the IPLog. Go to the project page and while logged in, use "Committer Tools" -> "Generate IPLog (project)" on the right to generate the IPLog.
- Review the IPLog created. There shouldn't be much to change, if anything at all.
- Submit the IPLog using the button at the bottom of the IPLog page. This will automatically create a CQ in IPZilla.
- Once the IP team finishes the review they will approved the IP log.
- Prepare the New&Noteworthy page, e.g. https://wiki.eclipse.org/Trace_Compass/News/NewIn20
- Request Tools PMC approval for the release by sending an email to "tools-pmc at eclipse.org" of the form
Title: PMC Approval for Trace Compass 2.0
Dear PMC Members,
We'd like PMC approval for the Trace Compass 2.0 major release that is scheduled to coincide with Eclipse Neon. The release contains bug fixes, new features and API changes .
The project's IP Log has been submitted and is awaiting approval. The release review can be found at .
- Schedule a release review. From the release review page e.g., review for 2.0.0, there should be a green link at the top that says "Schedule a review". Once pressed the review will be available but to make it public an email must be sent to the EMO (emo at eclipse.org) like this:
Title: Please schedule Trace Compass 2.0.0 Release Review
could we please schedule a release review  for the next major release of Trace Compass 2.0 scheduled to coincide with Neon, on June 22th, 2016? PMC approval has been requested 
 <Add link to email on tools-pmc mailing list that request PMC approval>
Preparing milestone builds
- Before making the build, make sure the currently used target file points to the most up-to-date update sites. For example, if preparing the build for RC2, make sure the update sites uses CDT RC2, Platform RC2 (milestones), etc. This will help detect early dependency problems and ensure that the RCP has the latest content.
- Create milestones update site for the simultaneous release before first milestone build, e.g. M2
- Login to build.eclipse.org
- Goto to sub-directory downloads/tracecompass
- If needed, create directory <release-name>/milestones, e.g. mkdir neon/milestones
- Goto sub-directory <release-name>/milestones
- Create milestone directory, e.g. mkdir m2
- Copy update site content to milestone directory (e.g. m2)
- Copy compositeArtifacts.xml and compositeContent.xml from previous release (e.g. neon)
- Update both files for current milestone build (e.g. <child location="m2"/>)
- Update simultaneous release aggregator file (tracecompass.b3aggrcon)
- Clone repository git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/simrel/org.eclipse.simrel.build.git and setup Gerrit
- Update tracecompass.b3aggrcon file in master branch to point to the milestones directory (e.g. neon/milestones). Note use the b3aggrecon editor for that and not a text editor.
- Push Gerrit for code review
- Email Trace Compass mailing list to inform about the milestone build
Title: Trace Compass 2.0/Neon M7 posted
I posted the Trace Compass 2.0/Neon M7 build:
It is based on commit: 8a8d14a28d020ea899bc558bf5cc956d06f6a04e
Neon RC1 build will be Wednesday, May 18h, 2016.
Reminder: RC1 will be API and feature freeze for this release.
Release branching and testing
- Announce release plan on Trace Compass mailing list well advance before actual release branch is created
- Create release branch (e.g. stable-1.0) around 1 to 1 1/2 months before the release. Typically right after M7 or RC1 build. Only bugfixes, documentation and test updates are allowed on the release branch. Bugfixes need to backed with bugzilla bug reports.
- Prepare nightly update site and doc directory
- Login to build.eclipse.org
- Goto sub-directory downloads/tracecompass
- Create directory simultaneous release directory, e.g. neon
- Create subdirectory stable
- Goto directory /home/data/httpd/archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass/doc/
- If needed create simultaneous release directory, e.g. neon
- Goto simultaneous release directory
- Create stable directory
- Create doc directories: org.eclipse.tracecompass.doc.dev, org.eclipse.tracecompass.gdbtrace.doc.user, org.eclipse.tracecompass.tmf.pcap.doc.user, org.eclipse.tracecompass.doc.user, org.eclipse.tracecompass.rcp.doc.user
- Create nightly build to build stable branch (copy nightly build)
- Use stable branch, e.g. stable-1.0
- Update deployment directories, e.g.
- Update update site to stable in tracing.product (part of releng/scripts/master_to_stable_release.sh)
- Enable automatic updates for the RCP in plugin_customization.ini (part of releng/scripts/master_to_stable_release.sh)
- Execute manual test cases for the release (see Test Reports) and fix bugs found. This should be a team effort.
Finalizing release on release day
- Create release update sites
- Login to build.eclipse.org
- Goto to sub-directory downloads/tracecompass/releases
- Create directory with release number, e.g. 1.0.0
- Goto release directory, e.g. 1.0.0
- Using the RC4 build, copy update site "repository", rcp update site "rcp-repository" and location "rcp" of RCP archives to the release directory
- Clear stable directory download/tracecompass/stable.
- Copy directory "repository", "rcp-repository" and "rcp" from release directory to the stable directory (download/tracecompass/stable).
- Clear stable doc directory /home/data/httpd/archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass/doc/stable.
- Copy doc from nightly build of stable directory, e.g. /home/data/httpd/archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass/doc/neon/stable
- Update the Trace Compass download page at .
- Update tracecompass-stable-nightly job on Hudson to build stable branch (e.g. stable-1.0) tracecompass-stable-nightly
- In Eclipse, tag commit with release tag, e.g. v2.0.0 and push to the main repository
- Upload test report to the Eclipse wiki and update Test Reports wiki page.
- Send email to Trace Compass developer mailing list to announce release.
Title: Trace Compass 2.0.0 is released
The Trace Compass team is pleased to announce that the release 2.0.0 for Neon is now available
from the project's download page . Details are available on the New & Noteworthy page .
The Trace Compass p2 repository is up at http://download.eclipse.org/tracecompass/releases/2.0.0/repository/
The Trace Compass standalone RCP is available from: http://download.eclipse.org/tracecompass/releases/2.0.0/rcp/
The tag v2.0.0 maps to the commit 9319ce1f588bb814c4cb6da158542479faff087b
Congratulations and thanks to everyone!
- Update Marketplace entry