This is an initial landing page for the Location Industry Working Group (IWG) at Eclipse. The site is moving to locationtech.org in November 2012.
LocationTech Industry Working Group
LocationTech will be the leading community for individuals and organizations to collaborate on commercially-friendly open source software that is location aware.
The IWG is currently forming and is expected to formally launch in November 2012. This date may change due to strong interest.
This group exists to enable a partnership of organizations to invest in and benefit from:
- High quality re-usable software components that are IP-clean and serve as reference implementation of standards
- B2B forum of technology consumers and providers
- Growing user communities and outreach
- Growing developer communities
- Growing research communities and encouraging innovation
- Growing business communities and markets
- Drive increased adoption of location technology, and interoperability
- Nurture a vibrant ecosystem for the above communities
- A software forge & build farm including discussion forums and mailing lists
- Location aware open source technology projects
- A platform, released annually, providing reusable, modular, and "IP Clean" software components
- Joint marketing materials, and events
See the frequently asked questions page for more useful information
See the Draft Charter for more useful information including dues.
- Steering Committee meeting October 30th, 2012
- OpenLayers 3 November 6th, 11am EST via. Google Hangout & OnAir
- Demo of Cesium Globe viewer November 13th, 11am EST via. Google Hangout & OnAir
- General IWG - Wednesday November 14, 2012 @ 5pm EST
Participate in the Discussions
Participate in IWG calls (see the Roadmap below for call dates and times)
IRC live chat
Using your IRC client of choice, you can join the Internet Relay Chat live chat forum by joining #locationtech on Freenode.
(simply make up a nickname, complete the captcha, and then click connect)
Edit this wiki
Register for an Eclipse account and contribute to this wiki page
If you know others that would be interested, invite them to this page and the discussion list.
Areas of Interest
- Storage and processing of massive data volume
- Model driven design
- Desktop, Web, and mobile mapping
- Real time analysis of business critical data
One product of this IWG will be new projects. See a guide on creating a new project.
The LocationTech IWG will provide a forge (code repository, bug tracker, build farm, etc.) for related technology. The following are projects that are interested in hosting in this facility.
- uDig - - A Desktop GIS suite & component framework
- Jackpine - a geospatial database benchmarking suite
- GeoScript - project adding spatial capabilities to scripting languages
- GeoAPI - GeoAPI is an abstraction library for related Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) and ISO standards
- Nunaliit - A web based framework that makes it easy to tell stories and highlight relationships between many different forms of information from a variety of sources
We are interested in new projects. If you have some R&D that would benefit from more eyes & developers to advance it, or some useful technology you need to have but it isn't a source of competitive advantage, consider releasing it.
The following is tentative roadmap.
- Inaugural conference call - Completed, Took place March 22, 2012
- Conference call - Completed, Took place April 17
- Conference call - Completed, Took place April 19
- Face to face meeting - Completed, Took place May 22 in Washington D.C.
- Create IWG Charter - Completed, posted May 2012
- Identify inaugural chair - Completed, representatives from IBM & Oracle, May 2012
- Board resolutions giving approval - Completed with unanimous approval June 19th, 2012
- Pick a name - Completed June 22, 2012
- Identify initial projects for launch - In progress, anticipated for June & July 2012
- Identify initiating member(s) - In progress, deadline to be a Founder October 26, 2012
- Formal Launch - scheduled for December 5th, 2012
- Conference call on March 22, 2012 @ 2pm EDT - See the minutes, etc.
- Conference call on April 19, 2012 @ 2pm EDT - See the minutes, etc.
- Face to face meeting May 22, 2012 @ 1pm EDT - See the minutes, etc.
- Conference call on June 19th, 2012 @ 4pm EDT - See the the minutes, etc.
- Conference call on July 25th, 2012 @ 3pm EDT - See the the minutes, presentation materials, etc.
- Conference call on August 30th, 2012 @ 9am EDT - See the the minutes, presentation materials, etc.
- Google hangout & conference call on October 10th, 2012 @ 9am EDT - See the the minutes, video, etc.