NEW! PDF of the tutorial slides is here: ptp-tg11.pdf
Slides for the VSCSE Tutorial (July 14, 2011) -- are moved to the end of the page
This year we are requesting that tutorial participants pre-install Eclipse on their laptops before attending.
Some alternatives for those unable to pre-install Eclipse are available, including a LiveDVD.
- These Instructions are for installing the Eclipse and PTP client on your machine. None of the remote machine setup is included here, since we have done that for the TG11 tutorial participants.
- If you are setting up Eclipse and PTP for use on your own remote cluster, please see the Release Notes for how to configure the remote machine.
Short version of installation instructions
- You need Java - Sun or IBM versions (not Linux's GCJ) - see Installing Java for more information
- Download one of the following from http://eclipse.org/downloads (This is Eclipse 3.7, also known as "Indigo")
- "Eclipse IDE for Parallel Application Developers" is the preferred download for science and engineering parallel application developers, it has C/C++ and Fortran development tools, Parallel Tools Platform, and Linux Tools
- Unzip/untar and execute the "eclipse" executable (inside the eclipse subdirectory).
- Please see the longer instructions (ptp-tg11-02-pre-install.pdf) for details on how to update your code.
Longer version of instructions, with screenshots
Install instructions from tutorial slides: ptp-tg11-02-pre-install.pdf
Help! I'm having problems!
Ask a question on the PTP Users mailing list.
Slides for the VSCSE Tutorial (July 14, 2011) -- NB italicized slidesets are supplementary to the VSCSE tutorial.
- Module 0 - Schedule Ptp-00-VSCSE.pdf
- Module 1 - Introduction Ptp-01-intro.pdf
- Module 2 - Installation recap ptp-tg11-02-pre-install.pdf
- Module 3 - C/C++ Development, Remote Projects Ptp-03-c.pdf
- Linux Tools: gprof, gcov Gprof-gcov.pdf
- Module 4 - Working with MPI Ptp-04-mpi.pdf
- Module 5 - Debugging Ptp-05-debug.pdf
- Module 6 - Fortran Ptp-06-fortran.pdf
- Module 7 - Advanced Features Ptp-07-advFeat.pdf
- Module 8 - Wrapup Ptp-08-wrapup.pdf