DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 30-Aug-2006

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday Aug 30, 2006 at 8.30am Rochester / 9.30am Toronto / 2.30pm London / 3.30pm Salzburg
Dial-in: Martin to start a Skype conference - you'll be called:
Skype martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal_munir, javier.montalvoorus

Fixed-line fallback dial-in:

  • International +1 314-655-1411
  • North America +1 877-422-0035 (toll free)
  • Passcode: 764918

Contents

Attendees

  • IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
  • (Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús - vacation)
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber

Agenda

  • Our top goals
    • Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help
    • Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
    • Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site
  • Latest News
    • Martin -- compiler warnings, extension point cleanup (*.exsd doc), scheduled release review
      • Found Wicked Shell, will try to ask the developer to join RSE; want to make RSE Local Shell as slick as possible, so the developer is likely to join us!
    • DaveD -- not much time this week, JUnit submitted
    • DaveM -- not much time either, fixed a few bugs, going to do drag&drop next
    • Kushal -- not much time either;
      • rseConfigDefaults: IBM specific config.ini, setting System Properties; Kushal to document this (Reference docs for System Properties in ISV docs); Write Migration docs for IBM;
      • passwordPersistence: Dont allow password add/edit on the Prefs page, only remove. Do any IBM products (TPF) pre-populate the passwords? - Kushal to find out. Martin: probably use an "earlyStartup" extension point?
      • refactoring: persistence provider is very tightly integrated with model objects like filters, IHost, ISystemProfile etc. Can we move the interfaces only for now? - This would be a first step on the path.
        • DaveM to try moving interfaces on Thursday; others, NO CHECKIN on Thursday!
    • Javier -- vacation
    • Other News --
  • Upcoming Work
    • M4 bugs: PLEASE REVIEW M4 BUGS!!
    • Inbox: REVIEW Assigned to Inbox
    • Timing: Martin on vacation most of October; Release Review Sept.27, M5 is Sept.22
      • Martins fixes will be in by Sept.27; manual test plans will exist
      • Executing the test plans, and bugfixing after that to be done by IBM mostly
      • Currently 142 bugs open, 18 P1/P2: P1/P2 bugs MUST be fixed by Sept. 15!
    • Source Code Style & Cleanness
      • We deliver not only a "working product" but also source code
      • Clean source code increases contributor confidence, improves code readability, helps avoiding bugs
      • Compiler Warnings: See Committer Howto
        • Currently 484 Java warnings + 642 Javadoc warnings (Martin already fixed about 150 + 250)
        • Find bugs, Fix javadoc
        • Dont chase the warnings (yet) but fix them while you are working: You can apply a filter in the Problems view if you want, e.g. "don't show String Javadoc:"
        • No more checkins of code with warnings (may be checked automatically in the future)
        • Be careful when fixing warnings: assume side effects of method calls!
      • Code Ownership:
        • It is beneficial to have clear ownership and responsibility
        • External contributors can also be owners, but have an associated committer as well
        • See (and edit) DSDP/TM/Code Ownership
        • Martin to take Ssh, Releng; Examples; FTP, Local, Contentassist for now
      • Code Style and Format - deferred to next meeting
    • Change Requests
      • Default colors for command view - white background, black or dark blue foreground - accepted
      • Deprecated getRemoteProperty() --> Document property namespaces, reserve "org.eclipse.rse" namespace - deferred to next meeting
    • Features: Jakarta-commons, JUnit-framework, Discovery, EFS-Experimental, WR-Terminal (bug 152826)
    • Refactorings: This week we should really be done!
      • Subsystem Factory vs. Configuration: Going with Configuration for now, Martin started renaming *factory where he found it while working on compiler warnings.
      • Kushal IConnectorService - Its not only the ConnectorService. DaveM to try moving the interfaces.
    • Bug Work - please observe priorities
    • Legal: JUnit (next monday?); Jakarta-commons (deferred!); WR Terminalview (passed!)
  • Other items
    • Tutorial: Update at the end of the release process, change instructions (re-use example code: We dont want to teach PDE)
    • Manual test plans - in work by Martin
    • EFS Experimental feature to be created by Martin
  • Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics
    • Want to do a committer call next week in addition to the open call
    • Monday - Labor Day in US + Canada

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD - JUnit, Review bugs assigned to M4, Checkin mappings.csv, New bug for moving DTD, Send "Team" test plans to Martin. SystemRegistry API for Javier. Team fixes: Check collapsing persistence Properties nodes to fewer files. Compile a list of suggestions for making classes / packages internal.
  • DaveM - Refactoring Interfaces on Thursday; bug fixing by priority
  • Kushal - implement rseConfigDefaults changes; ask TPF regarding passwordPersistence changes; Review bugs assigned to M4, refactoring together with DaveM; send file encoding test resources to martin; bug fixing
  • Martin - Contact WickedShell developer, Prepare Release Review Slides, Initial checkin of discovery, EFS feature, Build scripts for CDT and Discovery, Manual test plan, API Review, Jakarta-commons, WR-terminalview; Review if IShellService is sufficient for terminal
  • Javier - vacation; hook up with Scott Lewis once SD is committed
  • Everyone -

Next Meeting