Jump to: navigation, search

DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 23-Aug-2006

< DSDP‎ | TM
Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday Aug 23, 2006 at 8.30am Rochester / 9.30am Toronto / 2.30pm London / 3.30pm Salzburg
Skype Dial-in: +99008275601400 (this call is free from Skype)
Fixed-line Dial-in: US, call 1-712-432-4000 (long distance charges)

Austria: 0820 400 01562 (national call charges)
In UK: 0870 119 2350 (national call charges)

Passcode: 5601400

Fixed-line fallback dial-in:

  • International +1 314-655-1411
  • North America +1 877-422-0035 (toll free)
  • Passcode: 764918

Attendees

  • IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
  • (Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús - vacation)
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber

Agenda

  • Our top goals
    • Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help
    • Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
    • Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site
  • Latest News
    • Martin -- Finished up M4: New "Getting Started" tutorial, updated update site, website, blog; some ssh fixes; sort of prepared the nightly build for unit tests (using "basebuilder"), but some work to be done
    • DaveD -- JUnit to be integrated today; scripting framework for "semi-automated" tests
    • DaveM -- Some defects (drag&drop)
    • Kushal -- RSE7 fixes (till thursday), Refactoring
    • Javier -- vacation
    • Other News --
  • Looking back on M4
    • Downloads to-date: 42 (SDK), 10 (win-server), 6 (examples), 5 (linux-server); plus 16 from the update site
    • Advertisments: What will be our next steps? - RSE 2.0 Planning page
      • Probably build RSE 1.1 in december, probably out of the HEAD stream.
    • Bugs assigned to M4 milestone
    • Comments?
  • Upcoming Work
    • M5 plan - Sep 22: Localization, API Polish, Avoid Platform internal access, JUnit]
      • Localization not an issue for 1.0
    • Be Bold: Address "big rocks", major or risky changes, structure changes/additions at the beginning of this milestone iteration!
    • Be Smart: Add JUnit early!
    • Release Review to be scheduled Wed, Sep.27. Any P1,P2 bug we have by then needs explanation.
    • Features: Jakarta-commons, JUnit-framework, Discovery, EFS-Experimental, WR-Terminal (bug 152826)
    • Refactorings: 2 more weeks, then we should really be done!
      • Kushal IConnectorService
      • Subsystem Factory vs. Configuration: API most probably to change by 2.0 so dont invest too much right now. Make a note that the name is in transition ("factory..configuration") in the ISV docs (not the javadoc) - architecture overview
    • Drag & Drop - DKM
    • API Things
      • Service Error Reporting - bug 149472 - DaveD - API ok so far, final resolution? --> Create new different bug id for that one.
      • Parallel Services - bug 142478 all queries in background - DaveM
      • SystemRegistry.createHost for Javier
        • bug 150168 dont commit immediately - DaveD
        • bug 150265 allow specifying subsystem types - DaveM - wait for Javier to return
      • Making stuff internal - ssh, ftp: Martin; Core: List of candidates from DaveD?
      • Simple API enhancements from bugzilla? - Most can be deferred to later; Martin to review and update priority if needed.
      • Obsolete API that's in the Platform now --> See RSE 2.0 Planning page
        • Martin wants to get rid of obsolete code for 1.0 if possible
        • Kushal to investigate rseConfigDefaults
        • popupMenus extension point - because we are not dealing with Eclipse Resources; makes it a bit easier to define filters; to be reviewed again for 2.0
        • passwordPersistence: Kushal to chat with Don and find out what these are for (Password Preference Page: Add password button)
    • Cleanup: API Doc (duplicates in interface and implementation!), *.exsd doc, JUnit tests, Context help, Test Plans, RSE-7-migration-docs, Copyrights, licenses
    • Bug Work - please observe priorities
      • DaveD: Team stuff
        • Martin doesnt understand how Profiles, Filter pools etc. are intded to work, therefore cannot write test plans... perhasp DaveD's old test plans could help?
      • Open bugs: P1, P2 bugs, API bugs, Open with Patch,
    • Legal: JUnit (to be checked in today!); Jakarta-commons (TBD aug.24 latest); WR Terminalview
  • Other items
    • Tutorial: Update at the end of the release process, change instructions (re-use example code: We dont want to teach PDE)
    • Manual test plans - in work by Martin
    • EFS Experimental feature to be created by Martin
  • Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD - JUnit, Review bugs assigned to M4, Checkin mappings.csv, New bug for moving DTD, Send "Team" test plans to Martin. SystemRegistry API. Team fixes: Check collapsing persistence Properties nodes to fewer files. Compile a list of suggestions for making classes / packages internal.
  • DaveM - bug fixing by priority; look at Kushal's bugs and assign yourself; get rid of Service calls on UI thread; hygiene changes
  • Kushal - Review bugs assigned to M4, refactoring IConnectorService / Persistence provider (send out proposal); send file encoding test resources to martin; review & get rid of rseConfigDefaults; talk to Don about persistenceProvider; bug fixing
  • Martin - EFS feature, Add Discovery, Build scripts, Manual test plan, API Review, Jakarta-commons, WR-terminalview; Review if IShellService is sufficient for terminal
  • Javier - vacation; hook up with Scott Lewis once SD is committed
  • Everyone - List obsolete API on RSE 2.0 Planning page

Next Meeting