DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 16-Aug-2006

From Eclipsepedia

< DSDP‎ | TM
Jump to: navigation, search
Meeting Title: TM Committer Phone Meeting
Date & Time: Wednesday Aug 16, 2006 at 8.30am Rochester / 9.30am Toronto / 2.30pm London / 3.30pm Salzburg
Skype Dial-in: +99008275601400 (this call is free from Skype)
Fixed-line Dial-in: US, call 1-712-432-4000 (long distance charges)

Austria: 0820 400 01562 (national call charges)
In UK: 0870 119 2350 (national call charges)

Passcode: 5601400

Fixed-line fallback dial-in:

  • International +1 314-655-1411
  • North America +1 877-422-0035 (toll free)
  • Passcode: 764918

Contents

Attendees

  • IBM - Dave Dykstal, Dave McKnight, Kushal Munir
  • (Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús - vacation)
  • Wind River - Martin Oberhuber

Agenda

  • Our top goals
    • Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help
    • Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
    • Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site
  • Latest News
    • Martin -- Added Mutex; I-builds fixed; Discussions with Buckminster; Simple renamings
      • Who'll need Mutex? FTP yes, Dstore no (should be thread-safe)
      • Going to move Mutex to clientserver
    • DaveD -- Signon without password; working on SystemException stuff now
    • DaveM -- Some hi-pri bugs fixed
      • Daemon port range: will have separate args for daemon port and server port range. User-specified port outside the range should return an error
      • Deadline for other project this week, so no more time this week
    • Kushal -- Refactorings checked in; will need Persistence stuff go to core (model stuff - especially ConnectorService)
      • Will need IConnectorService to take ICredentialProvider instead of Shell
      • Still couple of weeks of work in the Workspace, which cannot be checked in now
    • Javier -- vacation
    • Other News --
  • Upcoming Work
    • What can we achieve till the 1.0 release?
      • 111 bugs open, not counting enhancements (See "Reporter vs. Severity" on the Bug Process page)
      • 3 P1 bugs, 17 P2 bugs open - most of them since 4 weeks (See "Assignee vs. Priority" on the Bug Process page)
      • Team Support is almost totally broken and mostly untested
      • > 700 Javadoc errors (Preferences > Compiler > Javadoc > Report errors, Missing tags)
        • To be fixed manually!
        • Get rid of implementation comments (reference to interface comments instead) wherever possible
      • Jakarta-commons, WR Terminalview? Junit tests, tutorials
      • 5 weeks = 25 days until RC0; 4 weeks = 20 days after, for "planned & coordinated testing + fixing"
      • bugfix rate to-date is 1 "hard" one or 3 "easy" ones per day
      • What do we expect from M4? -> Growing community by a stable release available through Update Manager
      • What do we expect from 1.0? -> Growing community by something reliable to base on
        • Will need to communicate intended refactorings between 1.0 and 2.0 early --> Keep the RSE 2.0 Planning page up-to-date
        • For Refactorings after 1.0, we'll need migration docs
      • Kushal will continue refactoring, others focus on bug work
        • Please document on the mailing list what's about to change, we'll vote for the change.
        • Try to make IConnectorService UI-less, probably all model and persistence provider -> will help with unit tests
        • Focus on API clarification, making APIs smaller (internal) -- less API means less migration docs in 1.0
        • Kushal is expert on: File Encodings, TAR archive reader, Remote Search. Such bugs to remain assigned to Kushal. Other bugs can be grabbed by others and fixed.
    • Refactorings
      • [cleanup] vs. [refactoring] in commit comments
        • Use [refactoring] for moving and renaming
        • Use [cleanup] for fixes in docs or implementation, that do not change the structure
      • Who's maintaining MikeB's Change Map (bug 150548)
        • DaveD to check in as CSV as soon as M4 is out
      • Discuss before implement
      • SubSystemConfiguration -> SubSystemFactory?
        • 248 matches for "SystemFactory" (case insensitive, not whole word) - extension points, docs, local variables
        • 963 matches for "factory" (case sensitive, whole word) - 374 of these in comments, with "subsystem" on the same line
        • 141 matches for "factories" (case sensitive, whole word) - 61 of these in comments
        • Java search: 50 declarations of "*SubSystemConfiguration*" types
        • 330 matches for "subsystem configuration" in comments
        • Ultimate goals:
          • separate the factory from the configuration, such that ISVs that re-use an existing factory can only implement the configuration but not the factory
          • ISVs which do their own factory will have to implement both factory and the config
          • allow headless launch, connect and use of services through a UI-less extension point for (factory? configuration?)
        • Want to split up subsystem : service more cleanly by having separate Factory and Configuration: separation will allow for more safety, as every creation of the FileServiceSubsystem will happen in one single place only.
          • Might probably need a ServiceFactory, ConnectorServiceFactory, ??? -- Probably not necessary since everything is connected to the Configuration.
      • Shell Pattern Parsers: moved to org.eclipse.services/src/org.eclipse.services.shells
      • Mutex: move to org.eclipse.services/src, or org.eclipse.services/clientserver?
    • API Things
      • Service Error Reporting - bug 149472 - DaveD
      • Parallel Services - Martins Mutex to be applied to FTP; bug 142478 all queries in background - DaveM
      • SystemRegistry.createHost for Javier
      • Making stuff internal - ssh, ftp: Martin
      • Obsolete API that's in the Platform now (ActionSets, rseConfigDefaults) --> See RSE 2.0 Planning page
    • Bug Work - please observe priorities
    • Legal: JUnit (Some IBM signoffs needed, but not too hard); Jakarta-commons (TBD aug.24 latest); WR Terminalview
  • Other items
    • Keeping Tutorial up-to-date vs. review at the end of the release process
    • Manual test plans - in work by Martin
    • EFS feature, Examples feature to be created by Martin
  • Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics

Action Items

  • Last Meeting Action Items
  • DaveD - JUnit legal, Service Error Reporting API, Persistence bug 153253, Checkin mappings.csv, SystemRegistry API. Check collapsing persistence Properties nodes to fewer files. Compile a list of suggestions for making classes / packages internal.
  • DaveM - bug fixing by priority; look at Kushal's bugs and assign yourself; get rid of Service calls on UI thread; hygiene changes
  • Kushal - bug fixing, refactoring IConnectorService with help from DaveD; send file encoding test resources to martin; review & get rid of rseConfigDefaults
  • Martin - EFS & Examples features, build scripts, Manual test plan, API Review, Jakarta-commons, WR-terminalview; Review if IShellService is sufficient for terminal
  • Javier - vacation; hook up with Scott Lewis once SD is committed
  • Everyone - List obsolete API on RSE 2.0 Planning page; Mark hygiene changes as [cleanup] in commit comment

Next Meeting