Jump to: navigation, search

Planning Council/June 07 2017

Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, June 07, 2017, at 1200 Noon Eastern
Dial in: (See Asterisk service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)

Phone Numbers: (Check Asterisk/Numbers for more or current phone numbers.)

For all phone lines: Participant conference extension: 710 then enter pin 35498
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) +49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) +33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
  • Switzerland (local call anywhere in Switzerland) +41-44-580-2115
  • SIP clients:
call 710@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 35498.

Attendees

  • Wayne Beaton (EF)
  • Stephan Merker (SAP)
  • Michael Barbero (EF)
  • Sam Davis (Mylyn)
  • Carl Anderson (WTP)
  • Tom Watson (IBM)
  • Dani Megert (Eclipse)
  • Gary Xue (BIRT)
  • Alex Kurtakov (Tools)
  • Melanie Bats (OBEO)

Regrets

  • Alexander Nyssen
  • Martin Lippert
  • Adrian Mos

Agenda

Oxygen

Build seems to be in good shape.

{Bug|517935} Potential issues. Lucene 5 and 6. Not an issue with the release per se, but could manifest if somebody tries to add features (third party) that pull in Lucene 5.

Eclipse PMC discussed adopting new Jetty version very late. Eclipse PMC decided not to move to the latest. May adopt in point release. Recommendation, please nobody update Jetty in the simultaneous release. Recommendation has been made to the community via cross-project-dev-issues.

Action Item (Wayne, Fred): put the Oxygen.n dates into the calendar (https://wiki.eclipse.org/Oxygen/Simultaneous_Release_Plan)

Java 9

Dani: JPMS JSR was voted down. New vote coming up.

Java 9 GA will likely move to Sept. 21 (Dani figures that date is 80% likely). If the second vote on JPMS is “no”, then the next delay will be longer (at least three months).

Proposal to move Oxygen.1 to match the Java 9 release date.

Current proposal to have a switch (on by default) to give warning when an attempt is made to access internal (or otherwise inaccessible) APIs.

Eclipse JDT is focused on how the documentation is captured. The EG has filled many of the holes.

Oxygen.1 is early September (9th?). Should we move the Oxygen.1 release to match the Java 9 date?

Action (Wayne): Set up a call with stakeholders (including marketing team) to sort out what we should do? (see options below).

Can’t just drop in the Java 9 code and go. Could impact the Java 8 compiler. We need to test.

Proposal: On September 21. JDT produces a release candidate build that includes Java 9. Move the Oxygen.1 release to second week of October.

No answer today, but we need to have an answer on the next call.

  • Option #1: Move the Oxygen.1 date
  • Option #2: Add an extra release in October
  • Option #3: Roll out Java 9 with Oxygen.2 in December (with Marketplace-based rollout in the interim)