June 2014 Meeting
Date: June 10, 2014 Time: 1:00 PM EDT
Call in information:
Toll Free (US): 888-426-6840
Toll Free (Germany): 0800-000-1018
Toll Free (UK): 0800-368-0638
- Overall project, releases, etc.
- Last release was Kepler-based PTP 7.0.5 with Kepler SR2 on April 11
- Next release is Eclipse Luna with our Luna-based PTP 8.0 (Luna == Eclipse 4.4)
- Luna RC dates... today is RC4 (FINAL BUILD) June 10
- Luna release date Wed June 25
- PLEASE update New and Noteworthy with new features and fixes, with screenshots if possible, on https://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/new_and_noteworthy/8.0.0
- Future releases: point release at SR milestones like CDT project does?
- E.g. PTP 8.1 at Luna SR1, 8.2 at SR2, etc. This allows us to add new features more than once a year.
- Outstanding bugs for Luna
- Downloads (see bottom of page): Parallel Package: over 164K for Kepler-SR2 ( over 208K for Kepler-SR1) Parallel package
- Follow-up on last month etc.:
- Hackathon - at LSU / Baton Rouge (Steve Brandt, Host) - proposal for new dates? Proposal is Two days within Aug 12-14 or 19-21
- Git/Gerrit Status - ref see http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/Gerrit
- Eclipse Science Working group is getting started https://wiki.eclipse.org/Science_IWG
- PTP User meeting next meeting - June xx - ideas?
- Luna new features including new GUI terminal (Steve B can demo)
- Status Reports
- Future planning for 2014 possible PTP tutorials/outreach?
- XSEDE -Monday July 14, 2014, Atlanta - Conference is July 13-18, 2014 in Atlanta https://www.xsede.org/web/conference/xsede14
- SC14 - Nov 16-21 2014, New Orleans (Submission complete, awaiting word if accepted) - two half day tutorials, intro (thru build,run,monitor) and advanced (debug, perf tools, etc)
- SC14 BOF has been submitted
- Next Meeting July 8
Greg, Beth, John, Roland, Wyatt, Jeff, Chris N, Steve B, Dave W
- Greg is taking on TM Project lead role, thus combining meetings. TM has not been very active lately. Greg has done their release review etc. along with PTP.
- TM is closely aligned with PTP, we are using RSE and Terminal support within PTP
- Kepler releases are all done (last release 7.0.5) , all dev is on PTP 8 and Luna
- Today is the final build day, RC4+2, last opportunity for Luna release, but we can do our own service releases
- can rebuild up until about 5pm if needed
- About 2 weeks of quiet period - for testing - to identify critical bugs - we could do an 8.0.1
- we can't do the
- does EPP include our update site? "Check for updates" only uses what user have installed from
- Bug #, also bug to rebuild EPP package
- N&N and release notes need to be updated. Need to remove old stuff from release notes
- Bugs fixed in luna
- Release plans? Do a minor release at SR dates to incorporate new features? Discussion
- Minor releases possible if new contributions are available. would need a release review.
- what is the threshold for a minor release? minor API change or new eclipse feature. adding new functionality is fuzzy. PR is enhanced by minor release.
- keep your API baselines up to date. chicken and egg problem, need further discussion if new features are added.
- (Roland + Greg discussion) from now on master will be SR1 . bug fixes on 800 branch, merged into master. master branch always aimed at next SR
- Summary: continue to have bug-fix branch 8_0 for bug fixes, and merged into master. At SR time, use master branch for the SR. if there are new API or new feature, put into master and we will determine then if we need minor or major release or point release and determine the version. e.g. 8.1 vs 8.0.1
- Hackathon for PTP at LSU in August
- doodle poll for dates - settled on Aug 12-13 at LSU
- need to update website for dates, advertise it e.g. to TM and science WG as well. Greg will send invite, forwarding something from ptp-dev
- travel assistance: is available from Steve at LSU, as well as possibly from Jay at NCSA from SI2 grant. Hopefully we can get some new folks involved.
- We should nominate bugs to be worked on during the hackathon prior to the meeting - could vote in Bugzilla
- Outstanding bugs for Luna
- Greg has been ruthlessly closing bugs and requesting updates. Need to make decisions on if we're going to fix them. Now < 130 bugs open.
- query: advanced search page for bugzilla, keyword field "needinfo" field
- Critical bugs still open -
- Greg, Roland, John looking at: remove project and resync (create sync project, remove it, recreate it) https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=389553
- Eclipse Science working group http://science.eclipse.org - driven by Jay Billings at ORNL
- next meeting July 8
- June 25 next PTPuser meeting/demo/call. Steve can do GUI terminal demo. Can anyone else do new Luna features demo? If not we may postpone.
- XSEDE14 PTP tutorial - greg,beth, wyatt,steve,jeff,chris (galen?)
- sc14 - if tutorial is accepted, jeff can come w/o travel support, roland might be there anyway too. Beth may not have funding to participate
- Dave W - PTP opencl demo, done in April (no code committed, so not in Luna) useful for point release?
Parallel Package Downloads
Download numbers, by month, of 'Eclipse for Parallel Application Developers' available on http://eclipse.org/downloads. Each release (e.g. R,SR1,SR2) the counts are set to 0 and restarted.
|Indigo SR1||thru Feb 2012||40,298|
|Indigo SR2||thru June 2012||64,860|
|Juno||(4 days!) June 2012||902||902|
|Juno SR1||September 2012||5346||5346|
|Juno SR1||October 2012||65,353||70,699|
|Juno SR1||November 2012||58,796||129,495|
|Juno SR1||December 2012||57,811||187,306|
|Juno SR1||January 2013||63,350||250,656|
|Juno SR1||February 2013||39,877||290,533|
|Juno SR2||March 2013||41,367||41,367|
|Juno SR2||April 2013||36,372||77,739|
|Juno SR2||May 2013||28,575||106,316|
|Juno SR2||June 2013||22,521||128,853|
|Kepler R||(5 days) June 2013||4003||4003|
|Kepler R||July 2013||26,070||30,073|
|Kepler R||August 2013||26,732||56,805|
|Kepler R||September 2013||28,751||85,556|
|Kepler SR1||(4 days) Sept 2013||4670||4670|
|Kepler SR1||October 2013||40,440||45,110|
|Kepler SR1||November 2013||48,723||93,833|
|Kepler SR1||December 2013||39,648||133,481|
|Kepler SR1||January 2013||36,085||169,566|
|Kepler SR1||February 2013||39,193||208,759|
|Kepler SR2||February 2013||1189||1189|
|Kepler SR2||March 2013||57,038||58,227|
|Kepler SR2||April 2013||52,080||110,307|
|Kepler SR2||May 2013||41,033||151,340|
|Kepler SR2||June* 2013||164,365|
June* downloads as of June 9