ECF API Refactoring
Prior to 1.0, ECF will be going through a concerted API and exemplary applications refactoring and restructuring effort.
- 1 Items In Progress
- 2 Completed Items
- 2.1 Streamline ClientSOContainer
- 2.2 Create filetransfer plugin, remove fileshare plugin
- 2.3 Split org.eclipse.ecf Core Plugin into 2 or 3 Plugins (Major)
- 2.4 'Low-end' Execution Environment Support
- 2.5 Assure JRE1.4 as EE for All Core Plug-ins
- 2.6 Add 'removeListener' methods
- 2.7 Introduce Convention for Container Adapters
- 2.8 Move IInvitationListener
- 3 Deferred Items
Items In Progress
Add Bulletin Board API to ECF Plugins and Features (Major)
Add Bulletin Board API. Remove EE 1.5 dependencies.
See: Bug #150756
An overwhelming number of classes in ECF at the moment are not being marked as internal packages. Whilst this may be the actual intent of the plug-ins, many of these non-internal classes are completely undocumented but are generated along with the published javadocs on the ECF website.
For this review, ECF code needs to clearly mark provisional APIs as being provisional, interfaces that should not be implemented by clients should have that stated clearly in the class level documentation, classes needs to be moved to internal packages (such as Trace, classes extending Plugin or AbstractUIPlugin, any others that are found during this review etc.), everything that has been approved as being public API needs to be marked with @since 1.0 when ECF 1.0 is released, and many others.
See API Central for further information Eclipse conventions and best practices for API development.
Streamline handling of creating/passing in connect data for new kind of authentication.
See: Bug #150398
Remove org.eclipse.ecf.fileshare API packages and classes.
Create a new plugin: org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer.
Status: Started by SBL
Split org.eclipse.ecf Core Plugin into 2 or 3 Plugins (Major)
Refactor org.eclipse.ecf plugin into 2 or 3 plugins. This is a large refactoring effort. See discussion thread on mailing list: http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ecf-dev/msg00399.html
1) The 'core plugin' (id: org.eclipse.ecf: 130K) is now been split into three plugins:
a) org.eclipse.ecf.identity (31K) b) org.eclipse.ecf (49K) c) org.eclipse.ecf.sharedobject (66K)
Now, b depends upon a, and c depends upon b.
All of the other API plugins (presence [23K], datashare, fileshare, discovery [10K]) now depend on *b* (and a) but *not* c.
2) Many classes and packages have changed and moved to be more clearly and consistently structured.
3) Extension points have moved:
a) org.eclipse.ecf.identity.namespace b) org.eclipse.ecf.containerFactory, and org.eclipse.ecf.startup c) org.eclipse.ecf.sharedobject.sharedObjectFactory
The connectionFactory extension point has been removed.
4) The datashare API has been simplified/made smaller and the dependency in the API on the sharedobject api has been removed.
5) All example and test code has been updated with above refactorings.
6) Internal packages have been defined with consistent naming to hold the Activator classes and other internal packages/classes. There is more to do here, as I've focused so far only on identity and core plugins.
7) Created a more general Trace class (in org.eclipse.ecf.core.util in identity plugin) and moved over tracing in identity and core to new Trace. More to do here for non core plugins.
8) Fixed and added javadocs for identity and core plugins. See http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.docs/api/
'Low-end' Execution Environment Support
See: Bug #149024
Problem: Dependency on javax.security.auth.callback.* classes. These classes are not available in Framework 1.1 (they are part of the JAAS classes that are optional for F1.1)
Removed ECF core and all provider references to classes
javax.security.auth.callback.Callback; javax.security.auth.callback.CallbackHandler; javax.security.auth.callback.NameCallback; javax.security.auth.callback.UnsupportedCallbackException;
Explanation: Added new classes and changed existing references to above classes to classes in ECF org.eclipse.ecf.core.security package:
org.eclipse.ecf.core.security.Callback; org.eclipse.ecf.core.security.CallbackHandler; org.eclipse.ecf.core.security.NameCallback; org.eclipse.ecf.core.security.UnsupportedCallbackException;
Assure JRE1.4 as EE for All Core Plug-ins
See: Bug #160805
Add 'removeListener' methods
Add removeListener methods in IChatRoomContainer (and in IPresenceContainer). Also check other listener add and check for availability of remove methods.
See: Bug #160968
Introduce Convention for Container Adapters
Change all occurrences of I<whatever>Container that are intended to be used as adapters off of IContainer (via IContainer.getAdapter(I<whatever>Container) to have the following naming convention:
Was: I<whatever>Container Will be: I<whatever>ContainerAdapter
This way, it should be more obvious which interface in a given API plug-in is the container adapter that should be used for the call to IContainer.getAdapter(Class).
Move (in presence API) access to IInvitationListener to IChatRoomManager rather than IPresenceContainer.
See: Bug #160137