Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
DTP Ganymede Project Plan
Themes and Priorities
- Further stabilize the foundation of DTP by resolving as many bugs and Discouraged Access warnings as possible.
- If appropriate, promote select DTP 1.5 provisional API to platform status.
- Enhance user tools to make DTP a compelling choice for developing data centric applications in Eclipse.
- Accurately prioritize and address bugs, especially those having a severity of major or higher.
- Grow the DTP community through direct contributions and external projects using DTP components.
- Make DTP easier to understand and leverage, from both the extender and user perspectives.
- Meet milestone dates in tight synchronization with Ganymede plans.
The DTP Ganymede release will be distributed as follows:
- A "end user" download, containing binaries for all DTP Ganymede components and end-user documentation
- A "extender" (or "SDK") download, which adds extender documentation and source code to the "end user" distribution
- An update site, containing feature definitions for component sets within DTP
The following feature definitions are planned for DTP Ganymede:
Additional features, or changes to the features above might occur based on evolving requirements. This document will be updated to reflect the current planned feature definitions for DTP Ganymede going forward.
DTP Ganymede is part of the Ganymede simultaneous release. As such, our milestones, release candidates, and final release date are determined by Ganymede. DTP is a "+1 dependency" on the Eclipse platform, and the dates of specific milestones can be found here, Milestones and Release Candidates section.
Ganymede, like Europa, is designed to shrink the lag time between platform milestones and downstream projects as the release approaches. Thus, while DTP is a "+1" dependency at the current time, DTP builds for later platform releases (typically in the release candidate periods) will appear in less than one week from the platform milestone. The DTP PMC interprets the downstream lag as an idealized upper limit, and will seek to make matching DTP builds available as soon as possible after platform milestones, typically with a 24 hour (business day) delay for testing. Hence, if a platform milestone appears on a Friday, DTP will seek to have its corresponding build by the end of the following Monday. Such builds will be designated as Integration builds and subject to further testing past that date. The general disclaimer is that DTP can not guarantee hitting these dates due to bugs that might appear in integration tests and availability of additional dependencies other than the platform (for example, EMF and GEF). Timing of DTP integration and milestones builds are detailed here.
Target Operating Environments
The build, test, and deployment environments for DTP Ganymede are described here.
1.6 M7 Rampdown Policy
To avoid last-minute regressions as we've seen at the end of M6, the PMC has decided to implement a new test period before declaring milestones. Since release candidates are subject to the Rampdown Policy, we're only concerned about DTP 1.6M7 here.
The new policy is:
- Commits for M7 will be allowed through the build start time on Tuesday, April 29th by 1:30pm PST
- The testing period will start on April 30 and last through May 2 to be ready to push up to the site on May 5.
- Committers wishing to include additional bug fixes in M7 between April 30 and May 2 must provide the following in an associated Bugzilla entry:
- Document the severity and impact of the bug: why should this be included in the milestone at such a late date?
- Document the proposed resolution, risk, and validation testing that will occur
- Petition the DTP PMC for permission to deliver the change to the build. At least two (2) of the four (4) PMC members must approve, with no PMC member objecting, for the bug to be authorized for the M7 build.
Individual Project Plans
This Bugzilla query shows all items currently planned for DTP Ganymede.