Architecture Council/Meetings/October 8 2015
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday Oct 8, 2015 at 1100 Ottawa |
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|Mylyn:||Steffen Pingel|| |
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |
- Regrets: Jonas Helming, Remi Schnekenburger, Maximilian Koegel,
- In attendance: Max Andersen, Wayne Beaton, Marcel Bruch, Ian Bull, Martin Lippert, Dani Megert, Martin O, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Denis Roy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Lars Vogel
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Feel free to fill in, but not during the meeting :)
Eike: Development Funding Program
- How to determine what's worth, what will be the process for providing FEEP input ?
- Pascal: What about individuals ?
- What about the 13 week cycle - is that sufficient for larger efforts (Thinking about the Mac Layout) ?
- Wayne: There's a lot of flexibility in the program; AC to provide input on priorities ("interesting things to invest in")
- Pascal: What's the scope ?
- Wayne: There's some fuzziness... need some priorities
- Review end-to-end workflows : We care about user experience - example: Oomph Welcome Questionnaire
- UX is a good example for the "Tragedy of the Commons" - priority on funding elements that are used by multiple components
- Max: IBM adding 4 people + RH adding 2 for JSDT, but could always use additional resources
- Doug: In the past, EF was too much focused on individual projects rather than end-to-end UX
- Ian: Would it help more if EF employs a person responsible for overall UX?
- Dani: Work must be mentored by Project (close collaboration). Adding committers eventually would have highest value.
- But many committers leave after a time ... AC should focus on the WHAT, not the "How".
- The EDP doesn't change. Nobody can force projects accept code - that's part of the conversation, projects need to be involved.
- Doing Reviews is part of the process... some contracts for just doing Reviews ! (Lars: Do we have any statistics on Reviews done?)
- Ian: Who's eligible for funds? (Risk that funding stuff that people are already doing, they might stop doing that unless paid...)
- Martin: How to come up with a list of work items ?
- Pascal: Notes of previous work; #ihateeclipse issues for inspiration; bugzilla keywords or dependencies
- Lars: Pay for the boring things (like increasing unittest coverage) and not necessarily the cool things (like improving the XML editor)
- Example: Increase the #tests run automatically by Gerrit, to make inbound contributions faster
- Ian: UX: New user Hurdles ... would bring new users on board
- Marcel: Tools for helping committers get things right (e.g., null analysis tools) , website rebuilds (e.g., for JDT)
- Doug: How are we going to reach consensus ?
- Pascal: Simple guideline - is the money going to provide a net positive for the end user ?
- How to mark up :
- Meta-discussion about bugs separate from the bugs themselves -- umbrella bug under AC, hook candidate bugs under the umbrella
- Eike: Informal discussion bugs - is there a need for confidentiality ? (no.)
- AI Wayne create the umbrella bug to get started
Lars: Null Annotations
- Marcel: The tooling is not yet good enough to make it an official announcement. Estimates it will certainly need 2 months of (full time) work to be great. Then it should be announced.
- (Issues have been summarized on bugzilla - confusion on how to use it, can't override certain settings)
- Dani: Null annotations really only make sense with Java 8 -- Stephan Herrmann working on annotations for libs for Neon
- Would like to resurrect Council Meetings at EclipseCon
- Would like to grow the Hackathon - other ideas wanted for more AC members to join EC
- AI All send ideas on mailing list