Architecture Council/Meetings/November 12 2009
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday November 12, 2009 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid|
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|DTP:||Brian Payton||Linda Chan|
|STP:||Oisin Hurley|| |
|TPTP:||Eugene Chan|| |
- John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Andrew Overholt, Mary Ruddy, Martin O, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Tom Watson, Dave Williams, Darin Wright
- ... and one Name I did not understand
- Regrets: Boris Bokowski, Tim deBoer, Doug Gaff, Ed Merks, Darin Swanson, Gary Xue (vacation)
- No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Cedric Brun, Dave Carver, Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Antoine Toulme, Sebastian Voigt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Meetings/October 8 2009
- Martin to recommend Nick Boldt to Mike for nomination
- Martin to talk to Eclipse PMC regarding e4 representation, API deprecation
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
- Martin: pre-integration of tools
- IntelliJ gone open source.
- Main value proposition is better pre-integration of tools (e.g. svn).
- Eclipse Platform interested in getting improvements in that area, e.g. simpler pre-integration of update sites into the Eclipse Platform -- something like an "Add to my Workbench" wizard to get hi-profile things like Mylyn, XML Editor, svn ... that people need.
- AC input on that idea? Who would help out or provide content / extensions for such an infrastructure?
- Mik: There is two categories - pre-integration of Tools (svn,...) , and pre-integration of frameworks (Grails, spring framework)
- Eclipse relies on its ecosystem for making this available
- Either bring more stuff into Eclipse, or make it easier to install stuff after the fact
- Wayne: We don't have the resources to test. Would love to see a better install story
- Martin/John: Eclipse Platform thinking about pre-configured profiles to install... e.g. in Eclipse Platform, have a "Give me an XML Editor"
- Oisin: p2 is a great platform (automatic dependency mgmt), UI is lacking
- Mik: Installing the Mylyn integrations was just too hard
- Mik: bug 291094 - Install Technologies
- Wayne: Generalizing the Discovery Connector is a step in the right direction
- Mylyn Connector Discovery is a UI on top of p2
- Vendor puts together a single update site (with references to other sites)
- Need to be careful about IP (works-with dependency)
- David W: Load on the Server may be High
- bug 261544 API Deprecation Policies
- John: This is focused on the Platform, no attempt to craft something universally valid
- Martin: But projects said last month they were interested in a Platform Policy
- See Eclipse/API Central/Deprecation Policy
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
Items for next meeting
- DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
- bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
- bug 288721 - Sonar / Eclemma - Cedric Brun, Dave Carver
- bug 283745 - Maven Repository at Eclipse
- bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
- The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?
- AC Bugzilla backlog
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
- News from the EMO and Councils ?
- (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
- (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
- (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
- (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
- (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
- Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
- Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
- Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
- 'Ed to tell Cloudsmith about bug 283745 Maven