Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Architecture Council/Meetings/May 12 2016
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday May 12, 2016 at 1100 Ottawa |
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|BIRT:||Wenfeng Li||Wenbin He|
|DTP:||Brian Payton||Linda Chan|
|Eclipse:||Dani Megert||Mike Wilson|
|Modeling:||Ed Merks|| Cédric Brun|
|Mylyn:||Steffen Pingel||Mik Kersten|
|RT:||Christian Campo|| Tom Watson|
|SOA:||Adrian Mos||Marc Dutoo|
|Technology:||Gunnar Wagenknecht||Wayne Beaton|
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |
|WTP:||Chuck Bridgham||Neil Hauge|
- In attendance: Wayne Beaton, Jay Billings, Marcel Bruch, Martin Lippert, Dani Megert, Alexander Niessen, Martin O, Pascal Rapicault, Denis Roy, Doug Schaefer, Mikael Istria, Cedric Brun, Christian Campo, Michael Scharf, Krum Tsvetkov
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Feel free to fill in, but not during the meeting :)
- Mickael: Eclemma
- Eclemma is candidating for being an Eclipse project, goal is the Oxygen train - Lars and Mickael mentoring
- Jay: Licensing ?
- Mike been tied up, deferred to next call
- Wayne: We still have some challenge with mentoring
- Only a single mentor is needed now, and the incubation mailing list is working well
- What could be done to get more mentors more easily ?
- Opening a Bug against AC doesn't generally work for finding a Mentor
- Pascal: Project teams don't seem to reach out to mentors
- Project teams hope that mentors would be more active - but that's not how the system works - Challenge setting expectations
- Jay: Mentors in the Science WG need to be more active than other Eclipse Projects
- Most of the time, talking about the IP process
- Michael: Could the range of potential mentors be expanded ?
- Wayne: The incubation mailing list works great in this respect
- Committer Orientation Sessions worked well to reduce burden on Mentors
- GOAL: Want new projects to be successful as quickly as possible
- Strategy: More self-service resources, plus "pull model" for Mentors
- Problem: When project teams are stuck, they are reluctant asking
- Example: Git repo commits from internal repo - project team was not clear they were doing anything wrong
- Pascal: Pull-model mentors can't be a project manager police problems - give projects a test ?
- Wayne: Use Release Reviews to use more bandwidth to check what projects are doing ?
- Pascal: If mentoring is meant to take ongoing investment, we have a scaling problem ?
- Wayne: Mentoring officially stops when a project graduates.
- Martin: Now that it became clear that mentoring needs more than just answer if asked:
- Need to spread the load more - find people with personal interest
- Need to make clear what's expected from mentors (say 5 hours per month - checking a homepage, installing a release, checking some commits)
- Wayne is in the process hiring an "Administer" to help out
- Marcel: What about a "Round Robin person on duty"
- Denis: Proposal: Rely more on the mailing list, plus some tools to find projects that are struggling ?
- "Tip of the Day" sent to the Incubation list - doesn't scale if all AC needs to agree
- CONSENSUS that the directions taken are generally OK, although some "thinking out of the box" might make sense. Ideas welcome!
Denis: Infrastructure Updates
- Download server running out of resources at times - 200 404 responses generated at times due to P2 requests and Maven downloading much
- New hardware is on the way, trying to set up some temporary fixes - working on it
- Mickael Barbero is no longer release engineer - CBI / Hudson etc on hold for now - new person starting in July
- Time to prune some members that have been dormant for long ?
- Potential value is just that giving housekeeping (and, potentially, giving people a slight nudge to turn up again)
- F2F at Eclipsecon Europe would be good