Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Architecture Council/Meetings/June 9 2016
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday June 9, 2016 at 1100 Ottawa |
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|Eclipse:||Dani Megert|| |
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |
- In attendance: Jay Billings, Marcel Bruch, Jonas Helming, Jim Hughes, Dani Megert, Martin O, Michael Scharf, Doug Schaefer, Krum Tsvetkov, Marc-André Laperle
- Regrets: Martin Lippert, Pascal Rapicault, Eike Stepper, Lars Vogel
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Marcel: Make error reports available to contributors, not only committers, and how
- Jonas: UUID call home issue - involvement of the AC
- Jay: Licensing ? (deferred from May call)
- Being taken care of by Wayne, EF will reach out when they are ready
Marcel: Make error reports available to contributors
- JDT, Andmore and Buildship said that Error Reports (at list the aggregation) should be available to Contributors
- Anonymization: Only eclipse.org stacktraces, no actual error message, no user names, no IP ...
- There might be technical ways to accomplish that, but is it meaningful ?
- Some projects requested it, so can be assumed it's meaningful
- Committers moving reports into bugzilla after review doesn't scale - could Platform or others benefit from active contributors
- Martin: What about going the other way round - adding a privacy statement to the CLA
- (?? Ericsson): Do other projects (like Mozilla, Netbeans) have similar error reports, and are they public ?
- AI Marcel research other projects and talk to EF on legal concerns with allowing contributors access
Jonas: UUID call home
- Dani: Saw the feature only when Tom Watson from RT sent a note on bug 490112 - commented that it should be opt-in but that was ignored
- In RC3, code was added to only talk to eclipse.org servers, Community was only informed at RC4
- Don't know exactly if this was driven by Ian for Marketing only, or more EF
- Marcel requested the announcement (when asked about AERI addition)
- Jonas: Should the AC have been consulted ? If not consulted, is it still relevant ?
- Marcel: Guidelines to Projects are very clear - bug 413169 call home policy discussion
- The EF would need to be consulted before anyone sends data back home
- In this case it was special because Foundation staff themselves requested an opt-out
- Requested change is that EF should reach out to PMCs / AC / cross-project before requesting such a change
- [DONE] AI Martin send message to Ian to that effect, request being informed Neon.1
July 14 canceled
- Architecture Council/Meetings/August 11 2016