DTP 1.5 Project Plan
- [2/01/07]: Initial version reviewed and approved by the PMC.
Themes and Priorities
With the release of 1.0 in December, 2006, DTP graduated to mature status at Eclipse. As part of meeting the requirements to graduate, DTP built extender and user momentum. In DTP 1.5 we will seek to continue this trend by working on the following themes and priorities:
- Work with extenders to validate further the DTP 1.0 provisional API set and make adjustments as necessary in an open, transparent, and community-driven manner.
- If appropriate, promote select DTP 1.0 provisional API to platform status.
- Enhance user tools to make DTP a compelling choice for developing data centric applications in Eclipse.
- Accurately prioritize and address bugs, especially those having a severity of major or higher.
- Grow the DTP community through direct contributions and external projects using DTP components.
- Work with the WTP community to assist in the transition from WTP/rdb to DTP.
- Make DTP easier to understand and leverage, from both the extender and user perspectives.
- Meet milestone dates in tight synchronization with Europa plans.
The DTP 1.5 release will be distributed as follows:
- A "end user" download, containing binaries for all DTP 1.5 components and end-user documentation
- A "extender" (or "SDK") download, which adds extender documentation and source code to the "end user" distribution
- An update site, containing feature definitions for component sets within DTP
The following feature definitions are planned for DTP 1.5:
- Model base feature (org.eclipse.datatools.modelbase.feature)
- Connectivity feature (org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.feature)
- Open Data Access (ODA) feature (org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.feature)
- Open Data Access (ODA) designer feature (org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.designer.feature)
- SQL Development Tools feature (org.eclipse.datatools.sqldevtools.feature)
- Enablement feature (org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.feature)
- Enablement Open Data Access (ODA)feature (org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.oda.feature)
- Enablement Open Data Access (ODA)designer feature (org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.oda.designer.feature)
- User documentation for Connectivity feature (org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.doc.user)
- User documentation for SQL Development Tools feature (org.eclipse.datatools.sqldevtools.doc.user)
- Welcome Page content feature (org.eclipse.datatools.intro)
- Extender ("SDK") feature (org.eclipse.datatools.sdk)
Additional features, or changes to the features above might occur based on evolving requirements. This document will be updated to reflect the current planned feature definitions for DTP 1.5 going forward.
DTP 1.5 is part of the Europa release. As such, our milestones, release candidates, and final release date are determined by Europa. DTP is a "+1 dependency" on the Eclipse platform, and the dates of specific milestones can be found here, Milestones and Release Candidates section.
Europa, like Callisto, is designed to shrink the lag time between platform milestones and downstream projects as the release approaches. Thus, while DTP is a "+1" dependency at the current time, DTP builds for later platform releases (typically in the release candidate periods) will appear in less than one week from the platform milestone. The DTP PMC interprets the downstream lag as an idealized upper limit, and will seek to make matching DTP builds available as soon as possible after platform milestones, typically with a 24 hour (business day) delay for testing. Hence, if a platform milestone appears on a Friday, DTP will seek to have its corresponding build by the end of the following Monday. Such builds will be designated as Integration builds and subject to further testing past that date. The general disclaimer is that DTP can not guarantee hitting these dates due to bugs that might appear in integration tests and availability of additional dependencies other than the platform (for example, EMF and GEF). Timing of DTP integration and milestones builds are detailed here.
Target Operating Environments
The build, test, and deployment environments for DTP 1.5 are described here.
Individual Project Plans
- Model Base: ModelBase Europa Features enhancement
- Connectivity: Connectivity Plan for Europa
- SQL Development Tools: SQL Dev Tools Plan for Europa
- Enablement: In DTP 1.5, we are planning a number of additions to Enablement. These include:
- Support for Sybase ASE and ASA
- Enhanced catalog loading for IBM DB2 and Informix
- ODA driver for Web Services Data Source
This Bugzilla query shows all items currently planned for DTP 1.5.