Jump to: navigation, search

DSDP/PMC/PMC Minutes 24May07

< DSDP‎ | PMC

Time

San Francisco (U.S.A. - California) Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 6:00:00 AM UTC-7 hours PDT
Austin (U.S.A. - Texas) Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 8:00:00 AM UTC-5 hours CDT
Boston (U.S.A. - Massachusetts) Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 9:00:00 AM UTC-4 hours EDT
Salzburg (Austria) Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 3:00:00 PM UTC+2 hour CEST
Helsinki (Finland) Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+3 hours EEST
Tokyo (Japan) Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 10:00:00 PM UTC+9 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Thursday, May 24, 2007 at 13:00:00 UTC

World Clock

Dial-in Info

  • US: 800-741-0846
  • International: 706-679-953
  • Passcode: 7817182169#

Invited Attendees

  • Mika Hoikkala (last-minute cancellation - no designates)
  • Martin Oberhuber
  • Shigeki Moride
  • Christian Kurzke
  • Mark Rogalski
  • Doug Gaff
  • As decided at our last PMC meeting at EclipseCon, projects leads are allowed to send designates.

New Business

  • Project status (please update)
    • DD
      • Europa release on track. Very successful DSF coding camp two weeks ago. I would like to nominate Pawel Piech (technical lead) to take over as project lead.
    • eRCP
      • Release 1.0.2 done in April, included WinCE 5 support + bug fixes. Next release - July 18 is 1.1 release. Sprint has specific eRCP in its next Windows Mobile platform. Concerns: there's no spec for eRCP. They are afraid of divergent implementations. So Sprint is looking for some method to standardize eRCP, perhaps in OSGi. Will need more design docs. IP ownership aspects will have to be examined.
      • Mark talking to Jeff M and will also talk to Janet at the Foundation
      • Mark going to OpenSource in Mobile in September in Madrid - will present eRCP, but also some information on DSDP. 25 minute talk. Also asked him to participate in a panel.
      • EclipseWorld paper on eRCP was rejected. Doug will follow up.
    • MTJ
    • NAB
      • Almost done with next minor bug fix release. Preparing for testing. Will release shortly after Europa.
      • Feedback comes from WS community, which is why dev list is so quiet. All feedback is in Japanese. Bugzilla can't work because interface is in English, which is a problem. Doug to follow up with Bjorn and Denis
    • TM
      • Endgame for TM 2.0. Fixing major bugs and API enhancement requests. Had to defer the user action contribution from IBM, need to evolve the framework further. Cleaning up the bug list, too.
    • TmL
      • Symbian wants the emulator framework to be generic.
      • Christian is thinking about changing the scope of the project. The PMC can review the new scope.
      • Staffing: 3 people so far besides Christian. Issue is the committer agreement.
  • Upcoming DSDP podcast
  • DSDP web page updating
    • Access rights for other projects? Most people don't want it.
  • Potential new projects
  • EclipseCon 08 - looking for keynotes
  • EclipseWorld
    • Nov 6-8 in Reston, VA.
    • Call for papers is open. April 13 is submission deadline. I was contacted by the organizer to get some embedded / mobile speakers.
    • eRCP interested
    • NAB and TM won't go
    • TmL won't have enough material at that point
    • MTJ - Kevin will follow up - Doug believes it's very important for MTJ to be present
  • January Planning Council recap
    • Project websites - need to get these Phoenix-compliant ASAP

Old Business

  • General stuff
    • DSDP Website - dynamic content
    • eclipse.dsdp Newsgroup - dynamic content
    • DSDP Info center
      • Instructions
      • eRCP, NAB, MTJ?
      • AI: eRCP - work on posting info center docs after 1.0 release
    • My Foundation Portal (coming soon)
  • Discussion about PMC participation
    • Doug's goals for the PMC
      • Mentoring! Help each other on processes, community building, etc.
      • Discuss and work on community growth for each project
      • Align plans and get on the next Eclipse train
      • Coordinated press activity and conference activity
      • Generate more dynamic content for website, newsgroups, blogs
      • Common usage of the virtual server for documentation
    • Other's goals?
      • What do you want to get out of the PMC?
        • Martin: Doug should kick people to communicate, keep websites up-to-date, etc. Sometimes they need a kick, and he thinks its a good idea.
        • Mark, Shigeki: Agrees with this list.
        • Christian: Mentoring is especially important to him. Worried about burdening the group.
        • Doug: Everyone should subscribe to the dsdp-pmc mailing list. Anyone should feel comfortable asking questions, making comments, reporting on issues. We should also spend more time sharing our project challenges with the group so that others can learn. We should also help each other out with networking, e.g. when a project needs a technical contribution in a particular area, we should tell the PMC about it. Perhaps another company has a strategic interest in the technology and might be able to help out.
      • What are your time constraints?
        • The monthly meetings are fine.
        • Some folks have trouble keeping up with the website or getting material on the help server. This will hopefully change soon.
        • The PMC agreed that it's ok for the project lead to send a designated representative to ensure that each project has representation at the PMC meeting.
    • Keeping websites up to date
      • When Rauno's commit rights come through, MTJ will be able to update. Most other projects believe they are compliant.