Jump to: navigation, search

DSDP/PMC/PMC Minutes 5Mar07

< DSDP‎ | PMC

Time

PMC Meeting at EclipseCon 2007

Attendees

  • Martin Oberhuber
  • Mark Rogalski
  • Doug Gaff
  • Arto Laurila
  • Rauno Seppälä
  • Kevin Horowitz
  • Gorkem Ercan
  • Mark Welsh
  • Ted Williams
  • Rodrigo Pastrana
  • Javier Montalvoorus
  • Shigeki Moride
  • Christian Kurzke
  • Mauren Brenner
  • Marcel
  • Fabio

New Business

  • EclipseCon 2007
    • Booth duty during reception
      • Demos. Revolving presentation.
      • Doug, Martin, Christian, Mauren, Mark, Gorkem, Kevin, Arto
  • Committer Votes
    • Review of process based on Christian's question
      • Why committers are added to a project and how the PMC should approach the vote.
        • Project creation - the initial committer list from the sponsoring company when a project is created. We pretty much trust the project lead when we vote on this.
        • Committer nominee - standard process. The project lead must send a copy of the same email that the committer nominee sent to the sub-project so the PMC can review the contributions. The project lead must also include a vote summary.
        • Initial contribution - when a contributor is bringing a large contribution to the project and intends to maintain that contribution. In this case there is no contribution history other than the bugizlla entry for the initial contribution. The same summary email should go to the PMC. As with any commit rights, the project lead can choose to restrict CVS access to specific components only.
    • Anthony
      • +1: Doug, Mika, Martin, Shigeki, Mark
      • Doug to start the paperwork
    • Randy
      • +1: Doug, Martin, Mark
      • Need Mika, Shigeki, Christian
    • Rauno
      • +1: Mika, Doug, Martin, Shigeki, Christian, Mark
      • Doug to start the paperwork
  • Discussion about PMC participation
    • Doug's goals for the PMC
      • Mentoring! Help each other on processes, community building, etc.
      • Discuss and work on community growth for each project
      • Align plans and get on the next Eclipse train
      • Coordinated press activity and conference activity
      • Generate more dynamic content for website, newsgroups, blogs
      • Common usage of the virtual server for documentation
    • Other's goals?
      • What do you want to get out of the PMC?
        • Martin: Doug should kick people to communicate, keep websites up-to-date, etc. Sometimes they need a kick, and he thinks its a good idea.
        • Mark, Shigeki: Agrees with this list.
        • Christian: Mentoring is especially important to him. Worried about burdening the group.
        • Doug: Everyone should subscribe to the dsdp-pmc mailing list. Anyone should feel comfortable asking questions, making comments, reporting on issues. We should also spend more time sharing our project challenges with the group so that others can learn. We should also help each other out with networking, e.g. when a project needs a technical contribution in a particular area, we should tell the PMC about it. Perhaps another company has a strategic interest in the technology and might be able to help out.
      • What are your time constraints?
        • The monthly meetings are fine.
        • Some folks have trouble keeping up with the website or getting material on the help server. This will hopefully change soon.
        • The PMC agreed that it's ok for the project lead to send a designated representative to ensure that each project has representation at the PMC meeting.
    • Keeping websites up to date
      • When Rauno's commit rights come through, MTJ will be able to update. Most other projects believe they are compliant.
  • Users / Groups cleanup
    • Mark did it.
    • MTJ - they have some inactive committers that need to be cleaned up. Doug suggested that they try to get voluntary withdrawal out of courtesy. Then put the list together for the PMC vote. Doug took this approach with the DD project.

Old Business

  • Embedded Systems Conference (ESC) West (placeholder)
    • Planned press activities
    • Booth Duty
      • Doug, Christian.
    • Submitted Talks
      • "Using and Extending the Eclipse Target Management Tools" - Martin Oberhuber (declined)
      • "Embedded Debugging in Eclipse" - Pawel Piech (accepted)
      • "Mobile Software Development in Eclipse" - Doug Gaff (declined)
      • Up to the minute talk submitted by Doug to cover Mobile Java (MTJ, eRCP) (declined)
      • Full descriptions
  • EclipseWorld
    • Nov 6-8 in Reston, VA.
    • Call for papers is open. April 13 is submission deadline. I was contacted by the organizer to get some embedded / mobile speakers.
    • eRCP interested
    • NAB and TM won't go
    • TmL won't have enough material at that point
    • MTJ - Kevin will follow up - Doug believes it's very important for MTJ to be present
  • January Planning Council recap
    • Project websites - need to get these Phoenix-compliant ASAP
  • Project status, plans, Europa
    • DD
    • eRCP
    • MTJ
    • NAB
    • TM
    • TmL
      • Doug to help with provisioning
  • General stuff
    • DSDP Website - dynamic content
    • eclipse.dsdp Newsgroup - dynamic content
    • DSDP Info center
      • Instructions
      • eRCP, NAB, MTJ?
      • AI: eRCP - work on posting info center docs after 1.0 release
    • My Foundation Portal (coming soon)