Jump to: navigation, search

DSDP/PMC/PMC Minutes 06Nov08

< DSDP‎ | PMC

Time

World Clock

Dial-in Info

  • US: 800-741-0846
  • International: 706-679-9532
  • Passcode: 7817182169#

Invited Attendees

  • Eric Cloninger
  • Doug Gaff
  • Christian Kurzke
  • Shigeki Moride (absent)
  • Martin Oberhuber
  • Pawel Piech
  • Mark Rogalski - this is Mark's last call on the DSDP PMC. Good luck in the RT project!
  • Dave Russo

New Business

  • CQ voting, Committer voting - Doug is fine with unanimous or a 1-week timeout with no vetos and two non-project +2's. Martin is not happy with waiting that long.
    • Christian: committer voting for 1week is ok. CQ process is more problematic. Needs to be faster and not unanimous
    • Dave: watches the discussion and often follows Martin's lead. 1 week timeout ok.
    • Pawel: shortening the voting time.
    • Eric: simple majority and 2-week timeout.
    • Decision
      • Committer Vote: DSDP PMC approval of committers will function similarly to project committer votes. When a project's committer vote starts, the project lead will notify the PMC of the nominated committer and the PMC vote will also commence so that the vote happens in parallel. The vote will be held open for one week. There must be 3 +1 votes from the PMC, and no negative votes. All PMC members are encouraged to vote, and a 0 vote is acceptable if you have no time to examine the contribution record of the nominated committer.
      • CQ Vote: DSDP PMC approval of CQ's (contribution questionnaires) requires a +1 vote of 2 PMC members (not including the PMC lead of the project receiving the contribution) and no -1 votes. The vote concludes when 2 +1 votes are received. PMC members are allowed to veto the CQ (within a reasonable time period) after the CQ is approved, since there is typically a delay between PMC approval and CQ approval from the Eclipse IP team. All PMC members are encouraged to vote, and a 0 vote is acceptable if you have no time to examine the CQ.
  • Firefly proposal
    • AC: needs a second mentor - New project leads need to advertise themselves to the AC and request a mentor. File a bug against the architecture council component. Doug: Talk to Wayne P about the mechanics of recruiting a second mentor for Firefly.
    • Eric will be engaging for Mot because of the closeness of their project.
  • ESE
    • 2 weeks. Any last-minute stuff to discuss? Updated post-minute: Christian is working on someone going for him.
  • EclipseCon 09
    • Current submission schedule
      • October 6 - Open Submissions
      • November 24 - Submissions Close (< 3 weeks!)
      • December 16 - Initial program completion
      • January 2: Schedule complete
    • Allocations: 10 short, 2 long, 1 main stage, 1 4-hr tutorial - 1 less long talk than last year, 1 less 2-hr tutorial slot
    • EclipseCon 08 Votes.
    • Suggested breakdown
      • 4hr Tutorial (1)
        • We asked the PC about covering multiple topics in a single tutorial slot. PC felt this was ok, but they won't be dividing tutorials up into 2 hr slots this year.
        • TCF (2 hours) - Martin: Submit an EclipseCon tutorial for TCF
        • RTSC (2 hours) - Dave: Submit an EclipseCon tutorial for RTSC
        • TmL - Already submitted 2 hours
        • TM (2 hours) - did this last year
        • DSF (do in CDT?) - Pawel may have a personal conflict
      • Long Talks (2)
        • MTJ - the new EclispeME - Christian - Christian: Submit an EcipseCon long talk for MTJ
        • TmL - already submitted a talk
        • RTSC - covered last year, though
      • Main Stage (1)
        • Android talk: Doug and Eric are trying to make contact with Google team.
        • Mart: Eclipse strategy talks
      • Panel (0)
        • If we think we can come up with a compelling panel, we might be able to get an addition slot.
        • Mobile Working Group? (Eric to work on.) This would probably fit better into the Industry category.
        • Eric: submit an EclipseCon panel for the Mobile Working Group
      • Short Talks (10)
        • All project leads: Submit an EclipseCon short talk for your project
        • Martin: Submit an EclipseCon short talk for packaging
        • Doug: Talk to Wayne P about a Firefly short talk
        • 1 Galileo: TM
        • 2 Galileo: DD (will DD be part of CDT at this point?)
        • 3 MTJ
        • 4 TmL
        • 5 NAB
        • eRCP (put here or in runtime?)
        • 6 RTSC
        • 7 Firefly
        • 8 Packaging - Martin, Pawel
        • Japanese translation project (probably goes in another category)
  • Galileo Train
    • Only DD and TM have announced.
    • Others?
      • TmL (Eric), MTJ (Diego)
      • Eric: Sign up TmL for the Galileo train. Christian/Diego: Sign up MTJ for the Galileo train.
      • NAB - Doug to follow up with Shigeki. Shigeki: Is NAB on the Galileo train? Please sign up.
    • Oct 27 Planning council face to face
    • Requirements: Galileo Simultaneous Release#Requirements For Participation
    • DSDP Branding (should do for Galileo)
      • One icon for all of us.
      • Need a graphic artist. Doug: think about a graphic for DSDP branding.
    • DD
      • Pawel to talk to Doug S about the train, email the PC of DD's intent.
  • DSDP Packaging
    • Working on an initial version for ESE.
    • Following up on Dave's action: whether they can release an open source BIOS to the packaging project. Dave's feedback: slow progress, but no commitments yet.
    • Martin says first version is just going to be Linux.
  • eRCP move - DONE
  • Next Meeting: TBD.

Project Status

  • DD (last mtg)
    • Still working on stabilizing 1.1 for November.
    • CDT project is interested in taking DSF and memory rendering.
  • eRCP (last mtg)
    • Main effort is standardization effort. Things are progressing. Eng goal: spec released at same time as 1.3 release.
    • P3ML interested companies: BandXI, MicroDoc, IST-EU. Who should follow up? (DONE) Doug: get contact info for P3ML interested companies to Mark.
    • Gorkem requested move review, but no feedback yet.
  • MTJ (last mtg)
    • Release review material done for next week.
    • Working on larger project plans with Sybase - preprocessing and roadmap.
    • Working on a press release for MTJ 0.9 release with Nokia and Motorola. (DONE) Christian: Talk to Ian and Craig about getting a quotation from Craig for the MTJ 0.9 press release.
    • China has more than 50% of the downloads. 4500 downloads. Martin has seen something similar.
    • (DONE) Christian: Write up an explanation of the EclipseME transition to MTJ and post on the Web. Explain the version numbering of Eclipse and make a statement about technical maturity of MTJ.
  • NAB (last mtg)
    • Discussion started inside Fujitsu on NAB platform enhancements and opening up.
    • Bugzilla 3.2 Japanese Template - should be coming soon.
    • Japanese work group - will finish Ganymede translation in March. Making a translation platform that will be open source. Babel project knows that they are doing this work. Babel is focused on menu and message. Their translation platform focused on help and other documents.
  • RTSC
    • ese2008: obtained clearance for travel to ese2008 to present RTSC talk
    • Subversive environment: Windows not working well yet. Linux seems to be working, this may be sufficient for now.
    • Transition to bugzilla: got our first bug. Still need to migrate the 100's of existing bugs from ClearQuest to Bugzilla.
    • Transition to newsgroups: posted instructions on all internal lists to use the newsgroup, traffic on internal lists persists, next step is to post scheduled termination of mail lists.
    • IPZilla - still working on submission, will ask for parallel IP.
  • TM
    • 3.1 isn't too exciting. Mostly bugfix work, IBM backporting many 3.1 M3 fixes to 3.0.2 (due late december).
    • Google Summer-of-code CQ approved, will integrate the "Team Synchronization" addition for M4
    • TCF adoption increasing (Anyware-tech, Montavista, Freescale), getting community patches.
    • EFS removed from project plan, which means it's not considered a priority any more. e4 resources promises to fix this.
    • Releng - Nick Boldt / Common Builder (CBI) work ongoing under Dash, TM wants to be an early adopter (some time in december).
  • TmL
    • Released first version of TmL 0.1 on October 10.
    • Plan on releasing TML 0.1.1 this month with some bug fixes needed by MOTODEV Studio.
    • Have submitted a long talk, short talk, and a tutorial session for EC2009.
    • Still no decision on making the change from CVS to SVN.
    • Otavio has investigated TCF as a protocol for transmitting data from /proc filesystem. The results are good, but there is some question about how TCF is built into TM. Otavio had to bring in all of TM to get TCF and he wonders if there is a way to get a smaller part of TM instead.

Old Business

  • Project Plans
    • Open issue raised by Martin O: I recently learned that counter the practice that we have used up to now for defining Themes for our XML project plans, it looks like the Board's original intent was to have the project plan themse aligned "as good as possible" with the Requirements Council Themes & Priorities from RC Themes
    • Do we want to massage our T&P's to match these?
      • Martin: emailed Don and Bjorn about whether they want to enforce this.
      • Doug: the T&P for embedded and mobile haven't changed much from previous years. It's not very compelling for us to align to this. I also thought the T&P were going to be auto-generated from the XML plans.
      • (TO DO) Doug: Review DSDP project T&P and provide Don with some high-level ones.
    • (info from last mtg) Project Plan XML format changed (for namespaces). See Development Resources/Project Plan for details. Now also includes infos on tooling (WTP's XML editor), converting from non-namespace variant, and getting started with the XML.
    • DD
    • eRCP
    • MTJ
    • NAB
    • RTSC
    • TM
    • TmL
  • (no update) Committer voting - need to update this section from our email thread.
  • DSDP Incubator project (no progress or update today)
    • Unanimous approval to create the incubator. (TO DO) Doug: create the DSDP incubator and build the initial website.