Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Meetings/October 9 2014

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday October 9, 2014 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • Switzerland, Spain, Sweden, others - see Asterisk/Numbers

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Eike Stepper
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
Doug Clarke
Ian Bull
SOA: Adrian Mos Marc Dutoo
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Neil Hauge

All Attendees

  • In attendance: Neil Hauge, Ian Bull, Marcel Bruch, Eike Stepper, Steffen Pingel, John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Christian Campo,


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Ian: p2 going to be folded back into Equinox
  • Ian: EclipseCon NA CFP is out
  • Wayne: LocationTech using their own Nexus Repo - looking reasonable

Marcel: Defect Auto Reporting Update

  • System is not quite ready for production yet, but here are some interim statistics:
    • Got 1500 error reports in last 4 weeks, of which approx 650 were actually distinct; trimmed down to approx 400 bug reports through duplicate detection
    • Roughly 50 marked as cuased by 3rd party plugins (Sourceforge, checkstyle, Android, ...)
    • Roughly 40 marked up as user error (wrong URL entered, ...)
    • Roughly 50 moved to other projects for examination
    • Roughly 10-15 fixed already
    • Roughly 250 still open reports not classified yet (due to not enough detail in error messages or stack traces) ; tweaking the system to give more details, hopefully fixed for M3
    • Happy that projects like Marketplace Client, JDT, PDE make extensive use of the reports - some issues fixed within less than 1 hour
    • Ideas and help would be appreciated -- reviewing new reports takes approx. 1/2 hour per day.
    • System is integrated into the EPP packages for Committers, and Modeling with Mars M2 and available from Code Recommenders Milestones update site; 75 users in past 7 days, 350 all-time users ; can't tell which distribution channel is most effective
  • URL of the system had to be changed due to EMO Security policies, thus not publicly available yet
    • Trying out new ideas very quickly, sometimes breaking the old links
    • Will send E-Mail with details

Wayne: new AC Members

  • 2 AC Votes never finalized - AI Wayne nominate one, AI Martin finalize the other
  • Need more Mentors !!! - People like Ed Merks, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Eike Stepper taking a lot of the job ... would greatly appreciate
  • Small group of people working on a Vision for the Eclipse Platform over the next 3 years meeting approx weekly - using the platform-vision mailing list archive
    • Desktop, and Cloud ... representatives from the respective projects (Platform, Flux, Orion, J)
    • Need more on Maven, and Gradle
    • Ian: Markus Knauer might have good input

Eike: Standard Package has been Renamed to Committers

  • Standard Package not only relabelled / renamed, but changed the IU ID's, thus Standard package cannot update any more
    • Wayne: Got lots of E-Mails where people downloaded "Standard" and then complained about things like Maven etc missing ... which they would really expect in a Java package
    • Thus standard moved down
    • Eike will bring up on cross-project (done)

General Topics

  • New AC Member candidates
  • Eclipse Infrastructure - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
  • Updates from the Board or the EMO

Action Items

  • No new action items.
  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting