Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Meetings/November 13 2014

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday November 13, 2014 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • Switzerland, Spain, Sweden, others - see Asterisk/Numbers

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Eike Stepper
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
Doug Clarke
Ian Bull
SOA: Adrian Mos Marc Dutoo
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Neil Hauge

All Attendees

  • In attendance: Wayne Beaton, Jonas Helming, Maximilian Koegel, Martin O, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Krum Tsvetkov,
  • Regrets: Marcel Bruch, Neil Hauge, Gunnar Wagenknecht


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Doug: TM Project
    • Martin: No committers feel responsible for planning - is it time to archive the project ?
    • Wayne: But patches are still being accepted ? - Project might just be mature, that is a reasonable state
    • Doug: Portal doesn't show active committers ? AI Wayne looks like Dash is broken, will investigate.
    • Doug: So how does it go into the release train then ? - Maybe just sticked there from last year ?
      • Wayne: There must be explicit "opt-in" from each project once a year; will sort out with David Williams
      • Martin: But there are still some dependent projects:
        • Linuxtools being taken care of now by WR contribution
        • Doug will take care of remote through his LaunchBar work
        • Does PTP need RSE ? PHP/PDT ? Anyone else ?
    • Bottomline: Archiving is probably premature, "maintenance mode" is acceptable for mature projects as long as patches are still being accepted.
    • But for the Packages, need to get rid of the duplicate Terminal Views
  • New Member Votes - Action from Past Meeting
    • AI Wayne nominate one, AI Martin finalize the other
  • Wayne: Feature Names and Descriptions
    • E-Mail drafted will send to cross-project-issues-dev
    • "Install New Software" dialog is intended for end users - feature descriptions do matter, need to hint about what a feature provides
      • (silent agreement of all AC attendees)
      • currently, some of the features are meant for adopters / product builders ...
    • Doug: Generally agrees ... there's some C/C++ related features that do not come from the CDT ?!?
    • For CDT and EGit, the project name is like a code name ... though it's nowhere seen in the UI;
    • project name in feature descriptions often doesn't make sense (there's exceptions like EMF which is like a brand)
  • MPC is what the "install new software" should be ... but need to make keeping that up-to-date easier
    • Michael: With IntelliJ, install/update is just so much easier ... it's a major difficulty for many users of Eclipse
  • Wayne: Eclipse Mars will be in the Fedora Software Repository on the day it's released
    • "must not look goofy" initiative...
  • Eike: Committers-package follow-up ? - AI Martin follow up with Eike
  • Wayne: eclipse-vision mailing list
    • Had a meeting at EclipseCon Europe, owe an Article for the Eclipse Newsgroup ... AI Wayne post a preview of that to the AC

General Topics

  • New AC Member candidates
  • Eclipse Infrastructure - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
  • Updates from the Board or the EMO

Action Items

  • No new action items.
  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting