Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Meetings/May 8 2014

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday May 8, 2014 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1500 London / 1600 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • Switzerland, Spain, Sweden, others - see Asterisk/Numbers

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Eike Stepper
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
Doug Clarke
Ian Bull
SOA: Adrian Mos Marc Dutoo
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Neil Hauge

All Attendees

  • In attendance: Wayne Beaton, Marcel Bruch, Ian Bull, Christian Campo, Neil Hauge, Martin O, Denis Roy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Gunnar Wagenknecht
  • Regrets: Markus Knauer
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Benjamin Cabé, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Jonas Helming, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Maximilian Kögel, Bernd Kolb, Achim Lörke, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Tom Watson

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Dark Theme - when switching to white, it hurts
  • New Members: Doug and Andrew will formally nominate one, Wayne will formally nominate the others

Package Installer

Wayne: Decision Making Process for What Goes into the Packages

  • Doug: The top item on downloads page always gets by far the most downloads
    • Confusion around what the Eclipse Standard package is
    • The Packages are the face of Eclipse ... should the AC play a bigger role in defining the contents ?
  • Wayne: Working fine today from his POV, want AC discussion on where to go ("what would be the ideal situation?")
  • Doug: Idea of an installer to pick and choose components, rather than getting the prebuilt all-in-one installers
    • Like the Mentor Graphics installer (EPL'd, sitting on github) on the epp-dev list (Wayne: What about Linux and Mac?)
  • Michael: IntelliJ finds a new file, and suggests a plugin for download (whow!) - avoid the upfront initial decision
  • Eike: Created a new installer for Project OOMPH ... can install the packages ... won't be ready for Luna SR0 but thinking about making more prominent
    • Doug: Interested in trying out ... not going to do anything for Luna, have another year to get solid
  • Ian Bull: Get rid of the Downloads page, let member companies do installers only ? (Similar to what Linux does with the distros)
    • Wayne: Interesting thought ... but one reason why we have packages is that this hasn't been happening ... changing this will need a lot of energy
  • Martin: Likes that we're talking about an installer now, and no longer about package contents.
    • Doug: Worried that bottom entries on download page get very similar download numbers ... an installer would be more beneficial
    • Wayne: Getting 2-3 E-Mails per week about "what package should I choose" , "How do I add reporting to Java package" etc .. p2 UI is powerful but a bit cumbersome for the new user
  • Doug: As a Member Company, I'm here for the Ecosystem ... want a good OOBE
  • Wayne: Taking the discussion to the Mailing List, AI All review the minutes and add thoughts where appropriate.

General Topics

  • Wayne: Want more What's Hot in Luna - please provide content and reach out to Mentored Projects
  • Wayne: Many new projects - Please step up as Mentors
  • Marcel: Logging at Eclipse
    • GSoC project going on, will start in the next couple weeks (targeting Mars)
  • Marcel: Discussion about Sending data to Eclipse.org (like heartbeat) is going on in the Technology PMC
    • Wayne: Discussion has also been revived at the EMO ... trying to sort it out and will answer
    • bug 413169 Calling Home Policy

Action Items

  • No new action items.
  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting