Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Meetings/January 12 2012

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday January 12, 2012 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos Sebastien Gandon
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: (TBA)
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Chuck Bridgham, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Sebastien Gandon, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Achim Lörke, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
  • No-Show: Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
  • Guests:
    • Andrew Ross to report on Long-Term Support (LTS) initiative
    • Eric Moffat, Paul Webster for e4 / Eclipse 4.x team


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

Long-Term Support (LTS)

  • Andrew Ross to explain goals, concept and current status
    • Slides posted on AC mailing list (with some correction follow-up from Kim)
    • Common Build Infrastructure (CBI): An evolution of PDE, Athena etc into a Continuous Integration (CI) facility operated by Eclipse Foundation
      • Make it easy to build, easier to contribute AND enable LTS: Prototype ready NOW
      • Get Eclipse Platform to build at Eclipse.org with Maven (worked on by Igor Fedorenko of Sonatype) - CBI Wiki, mailto:cbi-dev@eclipse.org
    • Why LTS: No single company can support all of Eclipse, but want to build a marketplace for support
      • Many products on top of Eclipse have a much longer lifecycle than SR2 ... what to do after SR2 ?
      • Duration and Cadence: every 2nd year to be LTS (Juno first), every 6th year to be VLTS (aerospace eg Airbus have 75 year projects)
      • Every LTS costs money ... if there is very high interest there may be budget for more VLTS
    • Source Patches to go into LTS git repo
    • Single Stream Goal: Fragmentation due to cherry-picking dimishes value of LTS ... Integration adds value and reduces cost
    • Governance Model: Committee to decide what can go in ... eg bugfixes only, no API changes ...
    • LTS committers appointed by membership organisation ... doesn't give them project commit rights (these still have to be earned)
      • But Project committers also get access to the LTS forge (as well as the Community Forge)
    • Requirements for projects to participate in LTS: repository, build, documentation
      • Tracking bugs (change control) ... project must have metadata to track back into LTS releases
      • Maturity Criteria for projects not yet defined ... probably Release Train projects, but may be additional ones
    • Governance Model: Industry Working Group, Steering Committee
      • Self-Service Maintenance Providers / Project Service Provider ... more business model
  • See also the LTS Wiki

e4 Compatibility

  • McQ Two threads going on: Theming API's and Maturity in General.
    • Theming API's: 4.x Team hasn't been communicating enough about the Theming changes (deprecations, Migration Guide etc)
      • But 4.x Team is confident about the changes made ... Theming just makes sense to work differently in 4.x
    • Maturity: Great work has been done, but the team is short of resources ...
      • Happy where we are now but not happy what it looks like where we'll end up
      • It may be possible that the team can't provide the level of quality that's necessary for the Community
      • That's currently being assessed ... Community will be informed in a very open manner ... 3.8 might end up being the Platform Team's contribution to Juno
      • If you can contribute, please consider contributing !
    • Christian: bug 361133, bug 368147 lifecycle support ... was very surprised about API's that exist but don't work
      • McQ: Missed the boat, in terms of deprecation ... will mark broken API's as deprecated
      • Not going to physically remove API since binary compatibility is more important than faithfully allowing cosmetics in Theming
    • John: Multiple techniques possible to warn / notify about broken / missing API's (eg runtime warnings, ...)
      • Will look at what's appropriate from case to case
    • Christian: Is there any more surprises coming? - These kinds of problems are very hard to find !
      • Hard to find for 4.x team too .. depend on Community to find issues


New Topics

Kim: Last year the Architecture of Open Source Applications book was released. This year the editors are working on volume II with a new set of authors and open source projects. They are looking for technical reviewers for these chapters, if you're interested let me know and I can put you in touch with the editors.

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
  • Ok green.gif Martin find follow-up slot for LTS QnA

Next Meeting