- 1 Home Page
- 2 Working Group members
- 3 Initiative Goals
- 4 Activities
- 5 Charter
- 6 LTS Ready Project Definition
- 7 LTS Ready Project tracker
- 8 Value Proposition
- 9 Participation Levels
- 10 Eclipse Foundation's role
- 11 Contact information
- 12 Information archive
Working Group members
Please refer to Long-Term-Support WG members
- Enable organisations to collaborate when providing support and maintenance for Eclipse technologies
- Enable support and maintenance of Eclipse technologies for Long Term (years) and Very Long Term (decades) durations.
- Develop a business model to support the Long Term Support (LTS) Industry Working Group (IWG) at Eclipse
- Actively recruit member organizations to create, nurture, and grow an ecosystem of maintenance and support providing and consuming organizations.
- Design, implement, and operate a LTS software development forge
- Enable and support the directives assigned by the LTS WG Steering Committee
The charter for the LTS working group is now approved and available.
LTS Ready Project Definition
In order to be included as part of Long Term Support, a project must be compliant with the LTS Readiness Definition
LTS Ready Project tracker
Prior to the LTS program, support for Eclipse stopped at the SR2 milestone 8 months after release. Companies with products and services based on this software needed to maintain it themselves. The LTS program enables the following value:
Stop fixing everything yourself
- Share fix binaries built by others
- Share code with the latest & greatest fixes integrated
Stop maintaining your own server farms
- Code repository, Bug tracker, Continuous integration server, Build farm
- Save on cooling, real estate, power, system administration
Hire maintenance committers
- Their commit access is tied to employment with you
- No waiting for a committer election, access is immediate
- Produce company-specific fixes 24x7 on your schedule
- Builds on demand
Get a good deal
- Our program shares the infrastruture costs across a wide ecosystem
- We are a non-profit and operating on a cost-recovery basis
There are 3 levels of participation in the LTS IWG:
- Steering Committee, who have all Premium rights plus control the budget, resources, and direction
- Premium, who have all Participant rights, plus access to a rich software production forge including build farm, code repositories, bug tracking system, and more.
- Participant, who have access to the downloads site and LTS/VLTS binaries.
All LTS IWG members can participate in meetings. There may be special Steering Committee only meetings.
The public are welcomed and encouraged to participate on the LTS IWG mailing list.
Eclipse Foundation's role
The Foundation is not a service provider. Rather it works to cultivate a vibrant ecosystem of Maintenance and support providers and consumers.
The Eclipse Foundation also provides the infrastructure for the code repositories, bug trackers, build farms, test farms, software signing, intellectual property management, and governance in order to manage the projects. It is the trusted vendor neutral organization doing the drudge-work so that others do not have to.
Join our Discussion list
LTS Bugs in Bugzilla
See a list of Bugs
Mailing list Archive
Common Build Infrastructure
There is a strong link between this program and the Common Build Infrastructure (CBI). We recognize that the LTS program must support multiple built systems. However, encourage projects to use the CBI to benefit from shared development and expertise in build technologies.