Aperi Development Status Meeting 08/13/07

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Aperi Wiki Home Aperi Meetings Aperi Development Meetings

Attendees:

Brocade (John Crandall), IBM (Brenda Haynes, Chris King, Christoph Reichert, Dave Wolfe, Dhiwakar Mani, Greg McBride, Hans Lin, Rodica Ciurea, Simona Constantin, Steven Bennett, Todd Singleton, Tom Guinane), LSI (Jenny Monesson)

Minutes:

  • Project Leader Notes:
    • Aperi webinar
    • SAN Simulator contribution:
      • John would like documentation on this. Tom to address.
    • Third Party Contribution Questionnaires
    • Current Critical bugs
      • GUI installer – Europa implementation – Hans opened two defects related to Device Server internal error / invalid parameters – Christoph to look at them.
    • LinuxWorld
      • Tom:
        • The Eclipse booth was in the .org Pavillion section of the immense Moscone Center North Rxpo Hall, which was about 1/10th of the Expo. The .org Pavillion had 23 booths as well as a lounge (couches, coffee tables, etc.) in between the booth aisles, so there was plenty of room. Our booth was 10x10, with a draped table and a monitor.
        • Lesson #1 – Do not present at a Linux conference with a laptop running Windows. It will draw lots of snickers from the hard core Linux crowd and damage your credibility. If you must bring a Windows box, run a demo or PowerPoint presentation via the monitor facing the crowd and hide the laptop screen running windows.
        • The Easy Eclipse folks brought an Eclipse banner. It was 7’ high x 3’ wide. It did draw a lot of folks to the booth. Most had comments or questions on the SDK – either to comment about the IDE or put in a request of their favorite enhancement they wanted.
        • As this was an Eclipse booth, many of the initial questions centered around the IDE as that is the association people assume with Eclipse. Most were surprised there was more to Eclipse than the IDE and that there was a storage management project.
        • Talked to 41 people in the morning and 23 in the afternoon, and the booth was so busy at times people came and took the tri-fold without my ability to talk to them. We could have used at least one more Aperi person at the booth on Tuesday. About 1/3 of the people I talked to were somewhat interested in storage management. Half of those had an environment where a storage management tool would be beneficial as most people had very small IT centers that they were dealing with.
        • Of the questions received, language, portability and platform support was probably the most popular. People were very surprised the Aperi SRM code was written in java and portable. One very interested person wanted us to generate a binary for Solaris. I asked him to open a Bugzilla or send us a note on aperi-dev. One guy took several tri-folds for his friends who are storage administrators.
        • Other questions: One person asked if the SRM tool could send events to Nagios. Another person wanted to discuss the storage protocols. Steve Cotton from Firescope was interested in starting a collaborative deal as their company is looking for a storage manager to partner up with.
      • Todd:
        • Traffic was light on Thursday as people were packing to fly home. Talked to about 5-10 people. A representative from Stonefly – iSCSC hardware and software was interested and will hook up with him.
  • Release Engineer Notes (Todd):
    • Build status
      • Will post a build later today
    • Europa migration status: completed
    • Aperi New Installer Walk Through
      • Went well last Wednesday and identified an area the needs to be modified.
    • Omegamon folks – on track and ready to finish code.
    • Comeback to Fujitsu folks on WEF event line item.
  • Aperi Downloads:
    • Latest stats
    • Live stats are currently disabled as one of the Eclipse database servers is down. This has been the case for two weeks now.
  • ID:
    • Online help issue: Eclipse based or Java help based?
      • Made some progress with JavaHelp 3rd party issue.
  • Action Items:
]-
Item Owner Target Status
Obtain two mentors Tom 8/15/07 Per new development process rules, we need to obtain two project mentors. Tom has started a list of [http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Mentors potential mentor names. Harm Sluiman has agreed to be out mentor. Tom talked to Harm a few weeks ago. Tom is searching for additional candidate.
Aperi Forum Tom 7/19/07 Suggested by Javier. Investigate setting up forums for Aperi communication. Looked into ibpfree.com. Basic function was there, but the administration was complex and general use did not seem intuitive. Looked into freepowerboards.com Friendly, easy to use, familiar to more forum users. Also includes a chat tool. Set up a sample forum http://www.freepowerboards.com/dhiwa/ Take a look and provide feedback. Would like to set up an Aperi forum there.
Document Control Tom 7/31/07 Write up text for Aperi document control.
Lessons Learned Follow-up Tom 8/03/07 Put results of Lessons Learned meeting for R0.3 into a table on the wiki with corresponding action items
cvs download statistics Tom 7/31/07 Investigate if we can get any numbers for our source code downloads.
  • Open Forum:
  • Other:
    • Internet Relay Chats – look at Eclipse home page
    • Next Meeting - 8/20/07