WTP 3.18 (2020-06) - New Help for Old Friends
This page collects notes and pointers to changes coming up in the WTP 3.18 (2020-06) release.
This page acts as a central "jumping off" point for those adopters of WTP that are moving up from a previous version of WTP. Most of this information may be already contained in various mailing lists and Bugzilla reports, but it is believed best to have a central place to get people started. Adopters: if you run into trouble or notice things that are not covered here, please update this page and/or let us know (such as by opening a bug, or sending a note to wtp-dev). Web Tools is a Platform and we strive to provide compatible API evolution with clear migration paths, instructions, etc.
One thing we have learned in the past is that some adopters do not move with us to every new release. Some early adopters went from 0.7 directly to 1.5, for example. Unfortunately, it is difficult to present the information in that way, covering multiple changes across multiple version ranges, so those types of migrations have to read about migrating to each version.
Note: as these notes develop and grow in number, they may occasionally be re-organized into categories, etc.
- org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui bumped to 1.7.0
New, Noteworthy, or Interesting Changes
- The "Structured Text Editors" page has been made API, along with the names for the preferences it uses to affect editor behavior. The page class can be inserted elsewhere into the preferences dialog and told which preference node to store those preferences. The StructuredTextEditor can correspondingly be told from which preference store to read those same preferences, making it a low effort to add custom folding and hover behavior to different editors. 561347
<extension point="org.eclipse.ui.editors"> <editor name="myEditor" icon="myeditoricon.gif" id="com.example.editor"> <class class="com.example.TextEditorPart"> <parameter name="org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui.appearancePreferenceScopeName" value="com.example.preferenceNodeName"/> </class> <contentTypeBinding contentTypeId="org.eclipse.core.runtime.xml" /> </editor> </extension> <extension point="org.eclipse.ui.preferencePages"> <page name="Appearance" id="com.example.preferences.editor"> <class class="org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui.preferences.StructuredTextEditorPreferencePage"> <parameter name="org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui.appearancePreferenceScopeName" value="com.example.preferenceNodeName"/> </class> </page> </extension>
- See HTMLUIPreferenceInitializer#initAppearancePreferences(IPreferenceStore, ColorRegistry) for an example of setting preference defaults.
- See CommonMultiPageEditor#createSourcePage() for how this is relayed in a mutli-page editor part.
- See org.eclipse.wst.css.ui/plugin.xml for a full example.
See also WTP Releng BREEs.
This document covers ONLY changes between WTP 3.17 and WTP 3.18. See the the category overview for other releases.