TCF 1.2 New & Noteworthy
TCF Terminals as a Lightweight Component
The TCF Terminals View is now available from the Eclipse Marketplace as a lightweight component to provide access to a local command-line (console) as well as remote hosts. This is the first time a reliable Windows console that's embedded into Eclipse is available from Eclipse.org .
Big thanks go to rprichard at github whose winpty code has made this possible, Doug Schaefer from the CDT project who has helped us mimized the dependencies on CDT's Spawner and PTY, and Uwe Stieber and Anton Leherbauer from Wind River who spend lots of hours putting it all together.
TCF API and Protocol
API Tooling Tags (mostly @noimplement) have been added to the TCF Protocol Java Interfaces. All API Additions are marked with "@since 1.2" in the Java Interfaces:
- IExpressions Service: Expression Scope Attributes, and a createInScope() method for early scoping
- IProcessesV1 Service: Added signal Handling Constants and TTY methods like setWinSize(), along with a getCapabilities() method to query capabilities
- IProfiler Service: slight extensions
- IRunControl Service: Added Error Handling and Resume Options
- IStackTrace Service: Hooks have been added to allow customizing the stack tracing: bug 424032
The TCF Python Binding is fully on par with the Java binding and actively being tested, maintained and improved.
TCF Agent and C Value-Add
- PPC Debug Support has been added to the agent - see (bug 417126 and the list of checkins - big thanks to contributor Stanislav Yakovlev !
- LOTS of bug fixes, making TCF Debug a very robust and solid solution
- A Redesigned UI allows now connection management just from the toolbar - no more need for the Target Explorer View for typical workflows
- Many bug fixes
Continuous Integration and Unit Test Coverage
The TCF Hudson Instance has been equipped with a robust build and release enginerring system based on Eclipse Common Build Infrastructure. The number of unit tests has been greatly improved, even target communications to a local native C agent are now routinely tested on every Gerrit submission.
This helps giving a lot more confidence with individual commits, thus lowering the barrier for new contributors to join TCF.
Bug Fixes, Robustness and Statistics
104 bugs and enhancement requests have been implemented for the TCF 1.2 release.
See also Ohloh! for statistics.
The TCF project team would like to take this opportunity to thank all our 31 contributors in the past 12 months as per the approved IP Log for TCF 1.2 !
New & Noteworthy changes per component:
TCF Debugger UI
- Breakpoints: Support default trigger scope, flexible annotation providers and more
- Hardware Breakpoint Support (bug 383041 - thanks to contributor Scott Tepavich)
- Register View: Fix Bitfield support (bug 397657, Improve XMM Vector Register support (bug 385917 - thanks to contributor Morvan LeGoff)
- Disassembly: Many bug fixes and improvements (bug 400183, bug 363927
- Runcontrol: Many fixes for reverse debugging
- Many bug fixes