This page is to describe why a build is marked as Unstable.
There are two types of platform builds performed in regular release cycle. The build process is described here: Platform-releng/Platform_Build.
- Integration builds (I-builds) built daily at 8:00 PM ET
- Maintenance builds (M-builds) built at 4:00 AM on every Wednesday ET
Sometimes there is a possibility of:
- a bad commit causing some important functionality or test failures
- due to comparator errors, new code might not be in the build
- any other problem deemed serious enough
The problem may affect only a particular component, so we don't want to completely fail a build. If other components are waiting for a particular bug fix they can still test their bug fix. But end users or developers better avoid switching to such builds.
In this scenario we will mark a build unstable and remove it from the composite update repository so that the unstable build is not available during the update. If a particular user still wants to try an update he can still do it using the build-specific repository listed in the download.
If a user wants to mark a build unstable they need to send a note (along with bug report) to email@example.com mailing list informing the need to do so. The Platform-releng team will do the needful, i.e. run the markUnstable job.