Skip to main content

Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: for the plan.

Jump to: navigation, search

Planning Council/May 8 2013


Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, May 08, 2013, at 1200 Noon Eastern
Dial in: (See Asterisk service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)

Phone Numbers: (Check Asterisk/Numbers for more or current phone numbers.)

For all phone lines: Participant conference extension: 710 then enter pin 35498
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992 (new number), 1-877-369-7806 (old number)
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) +49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) +33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
  • Switzerland (local call anywhere in Switzerland) +41-44-580-2115
  • SIP clients:
call, then enter pin 35498.

Members and Attendees

PMC (and Strategic) Reps
Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC) N
John Arthorne Eclipse (PMC) N
Steffen Pingel Mylyn (ALM) PMC Y
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC) N
Doug Schaefer Tools (PMC) N
Bob Brodt substituting for Adrian Mos SOA (PMC) Y
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC) N
Ian Bull Rt (PMC) Y
Chuck Bridgham WTP (PMC) Y
Gary Xue Birt (PMC) N
Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed) Y
David Williams (appointed Chair) Y
Strategic Reps
Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer) N
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer) Y
Stephan Merker (with Kaloyan) SAP AG (Strategic Developer) Y
Igor Fedorenko Sonatype (Strategic Developer) N
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer) R
Markus Tiede BREDEX (Strategic Developer) Y
Rajeev Dayal Google (Strategic Developer) N
(PMC rep) Actuate (Strategic Developer) X
(PMC rep) IBM (Strategic Developer) X
[no name] CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X

Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members or PMCs we have not heard from for a while, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.

Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
D = delegated
X = not expected


  • New members:
Rajeev Dayal, Google (Strategic Member rep)
Stephan Merker, SAP AG (Strategic Member rep)
Chuck Bridgham: WTP PMC (PMC rep)

Welcomed new members, and Stephan and Chuck introduced themselves. Many thank to Kaloyan for his years of service on the Council.

  • Critical IP/review dates announced.
For details, see this cross-project post from Wayne.
In brief,
May 24/2013 - Deadline to submit IP Logs for Kepler releases
June 5/2013 - PMC-approved Review materials submitted to EMO
June 12/2013 - Kepler Uber Release review
June 26/2013 - Kepler release
Make sure the projects you represent subscribe to cross-project list.
If you need a "how to" reminder, see the general mailing list page or the specific cross-project page.

Wayne added other reminders, that there will be renewed vigor in making sure projects have project plans, valid websites, operate in an open-transparent way ... and in some cases this means Wayne will involve the PMCs more (who, after all, are responsible for their projects) so ... Planning Council reps, do what you can to remind/monitor the projects you represent.

From Wayne's observations, there are two projects that participate in Sim. Rel., but don't subscribe to cross-project list: DLTK, and Eclipse Runtime Project (both Technology Projects).


M7 and "end game"

  • Issues?
  • Be aware that EGit is moving to "3.0" in M7.

Build currently broken bug 407545. Some "compatibility issues" being ironed out. (Forgot to mention during meeting, but Markus communicated with me before the meeting, that EPP builds are "looking better" ... so, maybe I can sleep again :)

EclipseCon face-to-face follow-through action items

For original meeting notes, see Planning_Council/March_24_2013 and for discussion leading to action items, see Planning_Council/April_10_2013.

Policy on new releases joining SR

dw to update current policy on new releases joining SR in Policy FAQ. Done. See Policy FAQ.

Build reproducibility

dw to come up with "perfect example". Add to wiki, send to Wayne and Than, and see if some way "CBI" maven task could produce, from template, as part of build output.

dw better educate. Give perfect example on wiki. Emphasize non-changing repos. Give "acceptable" example on wiki. Give "unacceptable" examples on wiki.

dw create "report of changes" from one build to another, one repo to another, so a) individual projects could see if things changed when they should not have; b) PMCs, Team Leads, Planning council could better observe "big picture" of how much change there was, especially related to changes in build input files.

dw start to tag build file project, each build (so we could diff build files).

wayne to add item to release review that "there must be a retention policy" (it should cover how long repos stay around, such as milestone repos, and also via ?education? emphasis that it must be "non-changing".) And then Planning Council can add extra rules for sim. release, if necessary.

Release train rules documentation

John and Neil volunteered to improve. The idea is to provide briefer version, but still (probably via hyperlinks?) allow readers to find out "reasons" for a rule. This would be for Luna (due in Fall, after Kepler release).

Release train rhythm

Wayne volunteered to add suggestion/idea to GSOC database to make some user friendly way that users could say "I want to follow beta releases" ... this would add the "current" development stream URL to update sites, so they'd get updates from milestones, without having to know about it, and manually add it.


The Orbit Project Lead (dw) agreed to a plan for a plan ... a plan will be created after Kepler release, by end of August (since July often a "slow" month) ... and implemented in the months after that.

Next Meeting

  • June 5, 2013 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting - our last before release
  • July -- No meeting in July - we will be relaxing after release
  • August 7, 2013 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting ... almost time for SR1!


Kepler Wiki page
Juno Wiki page
Planning Council/Indigo retrospective
Planning Council Members
Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO

Back to the top