M2 cancellation good track Jonah still have some issues with signing, takes a long time to do the signing especially with Mac Other issue with splashscreen, rebuilt for EPP RC1A by platform team RC2A fixing crash on windows 10 Should be able to do it for RC2 Bugs open that should be fixed, Labor day in NA
Explains the role and responsibilities of the WG steering committee vs planning council
Extract from the WG charter: "The Planning Council is responsible for establishing a roadmap and coordinated release plan that balances the many competing requirements. The release plan describes the themes and priorities that focus these releases, and orchestrates the dependencies among project plans.
Powers and Duties
The Planning Council is responsible for managing the Eclipse IDE Simultaneous Release, cross-project planning, facilitating the mitigation of architectural issues and user interface conflicts, and all other coordination and integration issues. The Planning Council discharges its responsibility via collaborative evaluation, prioritization, and compromise. The Planning Council has the following responsibilities:
- Planning and requirements gathering and management;
- Setting the names and dates of Eclipse IDE product releases;
- Setting, evolving, and enforcing the policies and procedures for participation of Eclipse open source projects that contribute content to the Eclipse IDE Simultaneous Release;
- Setting, evolving, and enforcing policies and procedures for the creation and distribution of Eclipse IDE products, along with all intermediate products;
- Setting, evolving, and enforcing policies and procedures governing supporting products (e.g., marketplaces, statistics gathering and data collection services, ...);
- Establishing practices to mitigate risk and ensure overall quality of the processes and resulting products;
- Providing technical guidance and oversight for the working group’s projects;
- Establishing developer communication channels; and
- Establishing user support channels."
The Planning Council should work with the Program Manager as WG SC does not get involved in execution.
Members of the Planning Council are generally senior technical experts. The Planning Council is composed of:
- One representative designated by the Project Management Committee (PMC) for every top level project for which at least one subproject is a simultaneous release participant;
- One representative designated for each Strategic Member; and
- Additional representatives as approved by the Steering Committee.
The Planning Council elects a chair of the Planning Council. This chair is elected among the members of the Council. They will serve from April 1 to March 31 of each calendar year, or until their successor is elected and qualified, or as otherwise provided for in this Charter.
WG SC purpose supports what the PC does and what the PC proposes, the PC decides what should be done The Program Manager will not decide, it is important to make clear that "PC decides", the term manager could be badly interpreted. The Program Manager job is to take care of each participants of the simrel, helping all the projects who want being part of it He has also a release engineer technical role.
During next steering committee meeting we should clarify:
- Flow of the power, who decides? Should be express explicitely
- Who really decides what the Program Manager will do ?
- Who will manage him? SC / PC ?
It is clear for the PC members that the Steering Committee do not want to take technical decision, this is the PC role? The SC provides High level statement. The PC refines them as technical things to be done. The PM job is to do it. This implies a good cooperation between SC and PC.
The WG intent about that is "Build artifacts made available at the Eclipse Foundation are verifiably the ones built by respective projects."
Ed will create a bugzilla about signing in order that everyone will give his requirements. Then the Planning Council would be able to take a technical decision.
Review Simrel issues list to see what would be the top 3 issues and the actions that should be done
Please all, review the Simrel issues list to add what is missing according to the last Simrel 2021-06/2021-09 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SsbtmbhKp2Q19QeXLRcxk2bWd7U94GgAtiBWuuOpz1M/edit?usp=sharing
The spreadsheet will be updated to be able to vote on each issues to consider which ones are the most important, every PC members will have 1, 2, 3 points to distribute between 3 issues.
Next call we will discuss the most rated issues to see what actions would be needed.