Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

PTP/meetings/March 2006

< PTP‎ | meetings

March 2006 Meeting

Date: March 14, 2006 Time: 1:00 PM EST

Call in information:

Toll Free: 1 866 807-2880
Local: (505) 606-1028


  1. PTP version 1.0 release plans
    • 1.0 RC3 testing
    • 1.x releases?
    • documentation update
    • include OpenMP tools?
  2. Version 2.0 planning
    • job schedulers
    • remote services
    • automator
  3. Other project status
    • update from IBM
    • update from UOregon
  4. EclipseCon planning
    • March 20-23, 2006 in Santa Clara
    • reminders:
      • PTP talk by Greg - Tuesday 3:30 PM
      • PTP demo by Beth - Wednesday 2:00 PM
    • BOF (Birds of a Feather get-together) - tentative schedule
    • PTP demo plans
      • Do I demo on a single stand-alone machine? (Linux on my Thinkpad?)
      • Nathan talked earlier about a "portable cluster" we could use to demo, too.
  5. SC06 tutorial planning
    • preparation help
    • delivery
    • logistics
  6. Other business

Meeting Notes

Date: March 14, 2006 Time: 1:00 PM EST


  • Rod Mach, Absoft
  • Beth Tibbitts, IBM
  • Bill Chung, IBM
  • Don Pazel, IBM
  • Wyatt Spear, University of Oregon
  • Greg Watson, LANL
  • Nathan DeBardeleben, LANL
  • Craig Rasmussen, LANL

PTP status & 1.0 release plans

PTP is currently at RC4. Plan to release 1.0 on Thursday (3/16) or Friday (3/17).

The consensus was to plan for a 1.X release. This will include minor new features (such as OpenMP support), but the next major release will still be 2.0

Version 2.0 planning

Need to start putting together a 2.0 development plan. It is anticipated that this release will coincide with the 2007 Callisto simultaneous release.

Current plans will include the following new features:

  • generic support for job schedulers
  • remote services
  • automator (scripting) services

Action: Other participants wanting to include new features in 2.0 should email them to the ptp-dev mailing list.

Other project status


  1. OpenMP tools: may be able to demonstrate at EclipseCon.
  2. Summer student starting soon.
  3. Bill Chung moving on to other (IBM) projects.

Don asked about coding conventions for their development work. Eclipse coding conventions can be found here.

U of Oregon

Finished initial integration of TAU with the PTP. Demonstration video available on the TAU web site.


Summer student starting the week after EclipseCon. Craig has been working on constant replacement refactoring for Fortran.

EclipseCon planning

Please attend Greg's talk on Tuesday at 3:15pm and Beth's demo on Wednesday at 2:00pm. We will also hold a BOF, probably on Wednesday, but depending on availability/timing.

Action: Beth to email times/places to ptp-dev. Action: Please email slides to Greg if you want to be included in his talk!

BOF format:

  • overview of PTP and progress
  • updates from various projects (IBM and UO, others?)
  • demos

PTP demo:

  • Beth will basically follow the format of the PTP help, plus give a demo of MPI tools.
  • Greg will try and arrange a real cluster, otherwise demo will just be on standalone machine

SC06 tutorial

Agreed to revamp SC05 tutorial proposal, and extend to full day.

We will need help preparing and delivering the tutoral. Also, it would be very useful to have people assisting the attendees during the tutorial. The more the better.

Possible logistics include:

  • providing laptops to attendees (requires sponsor and a lot of setup time)
  • creating a bootable disk with all the required software
  • using whatever laptops the attendees bring along

Action: Beth to check tutorial submission deadline.

Other business

Beth will try and bring stickers to EclipseCon.

Next meeting

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday April 11, 2006

Back to the top