Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Managing Multiple Instances of a View
This is basic content only. Please convert to the Template file for adding to the UI Best Practices and fill in more complete information.
Manage multiple instances of a view
This topic will cover when use the multiple instances of the same view, covering but not limited to the following:
- Distinct names
- When to use the same view, when to use sub-tabs within one view.
- Every time you do a search, for instance, you don't want a new view
- How are people going to interact with it
Examples include Console Views (switching between data sources or the same), Search, and History views
Tips and Tricks
- Use multipage editors if you want to look at same data set in different ways
- Use multiple instances of a view if they contain different content
- Like different tabs in a browser with different content, but you may also have the same content in that browser view
- Give ability to determine the content in a view instance
General case guidelines:
- Use multiple view instances, not tabs in tabs
- Use unique titles for each view instance to reflect the content
- Allow for rapid navigation between the views
- Show history, eg. search view
- Multiple tabs for editors and for views and how they get used
- Use of multiple instances more pervasive
- Confusing where the Console View gets put when "new"
- New Console Stack trace = new stack trace inside of Console View
- New Console View = new Console View