Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Learn About Eclipse
This document provides a starting point for software developer who would like to learn about building products on Eclipse frameworks and APIs.
Getting Started with Eclipse Plug-in and Product Development
Learning about Plug-ins:
- Platform Plug-in Developer Guide
- Developing Plug-ins for Eclipse A complete course on Plug-in development.
- More Eclipse Plug-in resources...
The Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP):
- JFace JFace is a UI toolkit with classes for handling many common UI programming tasks.
- JFace Data Binding JFace Data Binding is a multi-threaded set of abstractions that allow for automated validation and synchronization of values between objects.
- Eclipse Forms: Rich UI for the Rich Client
- Understanding Layouts in SWT
- Taking a look at SWT Images
- Designing Accessible Plug-ins in Eclipse
- More Eclipse User Interface Technology Resources...
Other important services and technology:
- The Official Eclipse FAQs
- The Eclipse Plug-in Development FAQ
- The Rich Client Platform FAQ
- Other FAQs
- SWT Snippets Bits of code demonstrating how to use the Standard Widget Toolkit.
- More Eclipse Technology resources...
Eclipse is many things to many people. At its most basic, Eclipse is a Open Source Software Foundation with hundreds of different projects covering tools, runtimes, and more.
Perhaps the best way to learn about Eclipse is to ask questions. If you're not sure about where to ask a question, try the "New Comer" forum. Note that you'll have to create an account to contribute to the forum (you don't need an account to browse).
There is also a very large Eclipse contingent on Stack Overflow; tag your question with "eclipse".
This page is moderated by the EMO.