FAQ How do I create my own preference page?
JFace provides infrastructure for creating and presenting preference pages within a Preference dialog. Pages implement IPreferencePage, usually by subclassing the default implementation PreferencePage or FieldEditorPreferencePage. The org.eclipse.ui.workbench plug-in defines an extension point for contributing preference pages to the workbench preference dialog, typically available via Window > Preferences. Note that you can use the preference page infrastructure without even using the preferences extension point if you want to present preference pages outside the standard workbench Preference dialog.
- FAQ How do I launch the preference page that belongs to my plug-in?
- Eclipse online article “Preferences in the Eclipse Workbench UI (Revised for 2.0)”
- Eclipse online article “Mutatis Mutandis—Using Preference Pages as Property Pages”
- Simplifying Preference Pages with Field Editors
- Implementing a preference page (Platform Plug-in Developer's Guide)
This FAQ was originally published in Official Eclipse 3.0 FAQs. Copyright 2004, Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved. This text is made available here under the terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0.