Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
- 1 3.4 M7 - May 2, 2008 (Feature freeze)
- 2 Future Plans
- 3 Previous Plans
- 4 3.4 M6 - March 28th, 2007
- 5 3.4 M5 - February 8, 2007
- 6 3.4 M4 - December 14, 2007
- 6.1 3.4 M3 - November 2, 2007
- 6.2 Questions for M3
- 6.2.1 Variables
- 6.2.2 Nested profiles
- 6.2.3 Prerequisites
- 6.2.4 Governor
- 6.2.5 Installer
- 6.2.6 Installing into the agent (customizing installer)
- 6.2.7 Resolver
- 6.2.8 Uses
- 6.2.9 Advice
- 6.2.10 Security
- 6.2.11 Simple configurator policy
- 6.2.12 Locating files
- 6.2.13 Sequenced update
- 6.2.14 Reasoning about versions
- 6.2.15 Shared Agent data access
- 6.2.16 Advising the metadata generator
- 6.2.17 Revise capabilities model
- 6.3 3.4 M2 - September 21, 2007
- 6.4 3.4 M1 - August 2, 2007
- 7 Legend
3.4 M7 - May 2, 2008 (Feature freeze)
- Performance / scalability
- Patches (Pascal)
- Backward compatibility
- Shared installs (Simon / Andrew O)
- (Deferred) More detailed and user friendly explanations from solver
- (Deferred) Recovery application (headless)
- Localization of features (Dave)
- UI (Susan)- see Equinox p2 UI Plan#M7
- d&d support (the unzipping of the things is weird)
3.4 M6 - March 28th, 2007
Theme: Really Integrating in the SDK
- Changing the SDK build / SDK features (DJ, Andrew N, Kim)
- Improving the Install Registry format (Simon)
- User work flows (build, product creation, ...) (Pascal)
- Running the SDK tests (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=208021) (John / DJ)
- Mac build (Pascal)
- Reviewing / renaming file names
- Reviewing / renaming metadata namespaces
- Forcing a plugin in the system
- SAT4J integration (Pascal)
- Support for mirrors (John / Tim W)
- Ganymede p2-izer (Andrew N)
- Production of product IU (Andrew N)
- Shared install
- Metadata for patches
- Metadata translation (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=222309) (Dave)
- Reconciling with the running JRE
- Support for signature verification / presentation
- Fancier download technology
- Testing / improving the compatibility
- Improving the story for compatibility in presence of install handler (Simon / Susan)
- UI - see Equinox p2 UI Plan#M6
3.4 M5 - February 8, 2007
Theme: Integrating in the SDK
- Change the SDK build
- Decide on the shape of SDK
- SDK.zip shape
- Metadata for the SDK (product vs extension)
- How many bundles does p2 ship in the SDK
- Generator for ganymede
- Metadata for fixes
- Metadata for updates
- Internationalization: translation of metadata, translation fragments
- Profile preferences: repos, gc, etc.
- Mirrors, repository seeding
- Signature verification
- Need a way to lock the agent data area to prevent multiple processes collision.
- Restructure available IU viewer for PDE consumption
- Flesh out property pages for end user UI
- Summary info for install/update wizards
- Automatic updates affordance and popup cosmetics
- Performance issues
3.4 M4 - December 14, 2007
Theme: Ready for integration in the SDK
Must-do: The whole team consumes I-builds using p2
- PDE to detect whether it is running on a provisioned system and properly set the default in the target platform (Darin)
- Ant tasks and wiki page to have people produce repositories (DJ) bug 209086
- Allow for PDE Build to produce p2 artifacts and repositories (Andrew N.)
- UI (Susan)
- Improved support for browsing repos
- Duplicates, sorting, filtering, show latest version only
- IU categories Bug 203115
- Polish and cleanup (see more details at Equinox p2 User Interface#Milestone Plan)
- Performance investigations for add repo, resolving and sizing
- Preferences for reminding user of available updates Bug 207493
- UI for Revert Bug 205223
- Present license information and remember accepted licenses Bug 205232
- Misc Admin UI features as requested by team
- Improved support for browsing repos
- Update manager compatibility
- Core things
- JRE Reconciliation on provisioning
- Decide of the delivery format of the SDK for M5 (Pascal, Jeff)
- Ensure simple configurator has a promiscuous mode.
- Make the metadata generator more flexible and take advices [Bug 209544]
3.4 M3 - November 2, 2007
- Establish concrete set of functionality to be available in 3.4 final
- Perform rename of bundles and packages to the new name: p2. Updating wiki pages and other documents accordingly (dj/John)
- True self hosting:
- Multiple forms of an artifact in a repository (Stefan/Jeff)
- Integrate metadata generation with current build update site generation (dj)
- UI (see more details at Equinox p2 User Interface#Milestone Plan): (Susan)
- (should have basics in for M3) Shared install (AndrewO, Tim)
- Pluggable download manager strategy (Tim)
- ECF support for pause/resume (Scott)
- ECF support for introspecting transports (throughput, latency) (Scott)
- Review Framework admin API, and usage of Framework admin in p2 (John)
- (slip to M4) Define 3.3/3.4 compatibility story (Pascal)
- Replacement for Xstream (Dave)
- Review Director/Engine relationship and API (Pascal+Susan)
Questions for M3
Parameters required at install time, such as port numbers
- Where - in the engine? IU actions
- Why? - for configuration? installation?
- What for? - IU Actions
- When are they actually used?
- are the read/write or read only? who can write?
- Mechanism to query the user for data
Multiple "products" installed together but run independently. Essentially suites of software. Otherwise discussed as Compound Applications
- What are the API changes needed if someone was to do this work?
- Do we really need this in 1.0
The ability to express dependencies on things other than IUs. For example, hardware, execution environment, ...
- Seems like this is good to do. some sub questions
- how/who to initailize the values? When?
- need new kind of requirement? LDAP filter based?
What does the governor look like?
- see Bug 205068
What does the installer look like?
- How to get the initial install of the agent? JNLP? self-extracting zip, OSGi initial provisioning?
- Should the agent be an installer
- branding the user experience
- installing function/resources into the agent itself
- silent install? (response file)
Installing into the agent (customizing installer)
Adding function into the agent itself
- adding new transports, repositories, touchpoints based on what the user is doing/asking.
- Current resolver cannot backtrack. We cannot do selection reliably. Do we need a new resolver algorithm? (Pascal)
- Do we need a full resolver? Is there a more constrained problem (e.g., resolving just features)
- Update manager equivalent resolver?
- Can we find a SAT solver that has the right licencse, language, can be used, ...
- need a low bar solution for 3.4. Possibility to extend in the future.
- Do we need to support "uses" clauses in the metadata depenedency
- need support in the resolver/picker and this has proven to be hard
- not doing uses for 3.4
The producer/consumer problem needs mechanisms for other people to supply advice on how the agent should behave. See Equinox P2 Resolution#Limiting the space: advice. Advice may not come in the same form as IUs etc.
- when can advice be supplied?
- Must be defined at the beginning of resolution. Otherwise we would be in a dynamic advice situation (see below).
- where does advice come from
- top level IU?
- side files etc?
- Version control - should be able to do
- Adding requirements (Causality) - essentially adding new requirements on other IUs
- how does this relate to fragments
- related to eager optional requirements
- should be able to do this one
- see above, not likely to do
- seems related to uses. Similarly then it is unclear how we can implement this now.
- Dynamic Advice
Various levels of security
- JAR signuture verification - Yes
- MD5 hash verification - yes
- signatures on IUs themselves - not now
- secure transports (HTTPS, ...) - yes
- Repository trust - rudimentary facilities
- signed repositories/certificates on server - yes
- white/black lists - yes
- login - yes
Simple configurator policy
Whether or not the simple configurator should play nicely with others who call installBundle()
- not sure what the implications would be
- seems harsh to simply uninstall things that we don't know about
- have an option to play nice - yes but you what you asked for.
- do something simple not involving state resolution and optimization. Just whether or not to uninstlal things that SC did not install.
The ability for to find where a file was put during the install. Example you might need to know where the java.exe is so it can update a script. This is somewhat related to variables but has a different flavour/approach. An extension of this is the ability of one IU to look for files from another IU.
- Actions have to participate by letting the system know where it put files or by offering to help find files when someone is looking for them
- Ask Andrew how this works in RPM etc
- Locating files within one IU - yes
- Locating files across IUs - maybe Try to do something at least basic here.
Expressing the need to update along a certain path. For example, updating from Foo 1.0 to Foo 1.2 may require that you update to Foo 1.1 first and then update to Foo 1.2. For example to get some data transformations run that are only available in Foo 1.1.
- Need for a new kind of dependency to express the path. for example Foo 1.1 needs to say that it can update Foo 1.0 whereas Foo 1.2 would say it can update Foo 1.1.
- should try to do something here if it is reasonably easy
Reasoning about versions
How do you reason about version numbers that are in different formats. For example, the current Version class does not allow to properly reason about the version of JRE.
- Two approaches
- Make versions representation/logic pluggable.
- canonicalize the version number schemes in terms of the base Version scheme
- Do the second approach (canonicalization) for now
If there are multple Agents running all using the same data area we need to protect the actual data files. This can happen for exapmle when you have several p2 enabled applications running where each has the agent code in it.
- Seems like a real usecase
- need to do something at least basic here.
Advising the metadata generator
Allow people to advise the metadata generator to add various dependencies, configuration information, ... as the metadata and artifacts are generated.
- This is a must have
Revise capabilities model
Right now the capabilities model mixes meta-level capabilities (e.g., declaring the IU type) with base-level capabilities (e.g., exporting a package). This is convenient but makes it hard to reason about the IU.
- Must do something here.
3.4 M2 - September 21, 2007
- Updating the running profile (self update with a reasonable UI)
- Support for update / rollback in the director
- Support for transaction in the engine
- Director / metadata:
- Implement groups and selectors
- Refine and implement constraints descriptors
- Support for transaction
- End user UI to install and update
- Presentation of metadata repo content to the user
- Move to ECF 1.0.2
- Support for relative paths
- Review the usage of framework admin:
- How are we using it?
- Why do we use it, what does it bring?
- Discover the JRE being used to run
- Shared install:
- Initial implementation
- Support for filtering content presented to the user
- Make the artifact repository writable and have support for post-processing
- Have an artifact repository implementation to read update sites
3.4 M1 - August 2, 2007
- Operations supported: install, uninstall, update, rollback.
- Self provisioning from a small download of the agent
- The agent runs in process
- Director / metadata:
- Implement groups and selectors
- Define constraints descriptors
- Refine how fragments are being attached
- Define new phases and operations.
- Browse what's installed in a profile
- Invoke operations
- Browse a repository
- First run integration: ability to ship metadata / artifact repo / profile with eclipse
- Investigate shared install problems