Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
E4/UI/Running the contacts demo
- The instructions provided on this page were last updated for the Eclipse 4.4 release.
The e4 contacts demo showcases an e4-based RCP application that allows the user to view and edit vCards.
- Download an Eclipse SDK here.
- Start up Eclipse.
- Install the EMF SDK from the appropriate release site
- Displays the usage and definition of commands, handlers, and keybindings in e4
- Ctrl+5, X will exit the application (demonstrates multistroke keybindings)
- Ctrl+S to save the vCard that's currently opened
- Shows how CSS can be used to skin an application (note that the CSS engine does not have any particular dependencies on e4 technologies and can be reused in an Eclipse 3.x-based application)
- Editing a vCard will cause the part to display the '*' dirty affordance (demonstrates the life cycle of saveable parts)
- Clone the UI git repo from eclipse.platform.ui
- Use the EGit Repository view and Import Projects to import 'org.eclipse.e4.demo.contacts' and 'org.eclipse.e4.demo.contacts.features' into your workspace
- Expand the 'org.eclipse.e4.demo.contacts' project and open the contacts.product file.
- In the opened editor, navigate to the 'Testing' section in the 'General' tab. It should be located in the bottom left hand side of the editor.
- Click the 'Launch an Eclipse application' hyperlink. The demo should then launch.