Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Email discussions (February 2010) about the CDT's default debugger integration has led to the fact that it would be nice to switch the default to DSF-GDB for Helios, but that we need to get closer to feature-parity with CDI-GDB.
We also agree that new debugging features are not going to be done for CDI, so it would be good to start building momentum for DSF-GDB so as to get more contributions and get the whole CDT debugging to continue getting more new features. This will also benefit any DSF-based integration as DSF will be given more attention.
A list of DSF-GDB features can be found here.
So, we are attempting to resolve the feature-parity bugs tagged [cdi]. This page documents which bugs are still open and which ones have been fixed.
Total list of bugs for feature-parity
List of bugs with [cdi] tag that are still open is here A (hopefully up-to-date) list is shown here for convenience.
- Bug 308385 [bp] [cdi] Breakpoints created via the GDB console are not recognized in Eclipse
- Bug 309704 [bkpt][cdi] DSF-GDB lacks ability to stop on load library events
- Bug 305385 [debug view][cdi] The pid of the inferior is not set pre-GDB 7.0
- Bug 306011 [debug view][wp][cdi] Debug view should show old/new value when wp is hit
- Bug 207582 [variables][expressions][cdi] In views, chirldren of arrays should be grouped when more than 100
- Bug 219040 [variables][cdi] Variables view should show globals (or should it?)
- Bug 269101 [variables][cdi] In no-columns mode, it's impossible to change the a variable's value.
- Bug 159958 [symbols][cdi] Integrate symbols service with CDT modules view.
- Bug 231883 [console][cdi] Inferior does not print to console when a PTY is not available
- Bug 313767 [cdi][memory] restoring memory monitor from previous session fails
- Bug 310518 [debug view][run control][stack][cdi] When stepping over a long running function stack trace is not shown.
- Bug 267209 [launch][cdi] Refresh project when launch process terminates
- Bug 271795 [debug view] [cdi] Inferior should be visible, and shown terminated in post mortem launch
- Bug 293832 [variables][cdi] wrong display of variable values with GDB DSF
- Bug 298336 [expressions] [cdi] Expression view flickers when switching between stack frames
- Bug 249220 [signals][cdi] Add support for the Signals view.
- Bug 235747 [registers][cdi] Allow user to edit the register groups.
- Bug 324300 [breakpoints][cdi] Markers are not updated for pending breakpoints that become active
- Bug 323748 [breakpoints][cdi] Breakpoints in dlls are ignored for GDB older than 6.8
- Bug 323267 [breakpoints][cdi] Filter properties not available accessible in Breakpoint Properties Dialog
Bugs that have been completed for CDT 7.0
- Bug 159955 [source lookup][cdi] nice "source not found" editor
- Bug 202346 [launch][cdi] Implement launch for post-mortem/core debugging.
- Bug 202353 [launch][cdi] Add support for options in CDT "debugger" tab.
- Bug 233230 [run control][cdi] Run to Line action should be supported
- Bug 249227 [console][cdi] Add support for "verbose" tracing of MI commands in console
- Bug 282924 [breakpoints][cdi] Breakpoint install marker not handled properly for multiple launches
- Bug 302629 [breakpoints][cdi] Add support for filtering of breakpoints based on selected debug target in DSF-GDB debugger
- Bug 302324 [disassembly][runcontrol][cdi] RunToLine operation is not supported in DSF Disassembly view
- Bug 249162 [run control][cdi] Add support for "Set PC to here" operation.
- Bug 249165 [run control][cdi] Add support for "Resume at Line" action
- Bug 274951 [cdi] Add Watch action to C/C++ Editor
- Bug 300096 [expressions][run control][cdi] "DSF is missing certain debug actions from editor's context menu"
- Bug 249169 [detail][cdi] Add support for alternative expression evaluation in detail pane.
- Bug 275238 [debugger][cdi] Pretty print stl gdb and eclipse cdt don't play well
- Bug 202354 [launch][cdi] Support Environment tab in local launch
- Bug 248606 [menu][breakpoints][cdi] Add support for toggling watchpoints in the variables and expressions views.
- Bug 242943 [breakpoints] [cdi] While GDB is running, we cannot make breakpoint commands
- Bug 280607 [debug view][commands] CLIInfoThreadsInfo parsing tied to LWP
- Bug 302597 [console][commands][cdi] Handle missing stopped event should be handled better
- Bug 225996 [run control][debug view][cdi] Threads are listed in reverse order.
- Bug 219202 [variables][cdi] Variables view should use icons to represent types.
- Bug 304588 [variables][cdi] Expression service returns wrong number of children for complex structures
- Bug 249223 [signals][cdi] Add support for "Resume without signal" action.
- Bug 285907 [launch] Should GdbLaunchDelegate use AbstractCLaunchDelegate?
- Bug 248593 [launch][cdi] Add a JTAG-specific launch.
- Bug 248587 [breakpoints][cdi] Support "Event' Breakpoints.
- Bug 307614 [variables] Variable view may not show local variables with gdb 7.x
- Bug 308540 [expressions][update policy][cdi] Disabled expressions are still evaluated
- Bug 269927 [console] [cdi] Allow to save console to a file
- Bug 248610 [menu][memory][cdi] Add a menu action to open memory view for a given variable.
- Bug 223154 [console] Application writing a lot to the output deadlock.
- Bug 308091 [debug view][cdi] Show address in the stack frame's label
- Bug 274872 [source lookup] Repeated '<unknow>' editor
- Bug 234426 [source lookup] If a stack frame with no source is selected, an empty editor showing "Debug" in title is brought up.
- Bug 248627 [debug view] [cdi] Add an option to show full paths for the stack frame source location.
- Bug 280631 [debug view] Thread list in Debug view not updated with non-Linux target
- Bug 309234 [debug view][cdi] DSF not as helpful as CDI on SEGV
- Bug 311118 [launch][cdi] Attach does not work with MinGW gdb 7.0
- Bug 264895 [console][cdi] Visible console should match debug selection
- Bug 250834 [number format detail] IllegalMonitorStateException in the number format detail pane
- Bug 256311 [number format detail] IllegalMonitorStateException seen occasionally
- Bug 306555 [variables][expressions][cdi]Add support for cast to type / view as array (IExpressions2)
- Bug 281970 [launch] DSF launcher configurations mess up run mode launching
- Bug 304096 [run control][cdi] Interrupting a Windows target does not always work
- Bug 310129 [cdi] GDB (DSF) Hardware Debugging Launcher ignores startup initialization commands
- Bug 310304 [cdi] GDB (DSF) Hardware Debugging Launcher ignores application program path
- Bug 309032 [mem][cdi] Need APIs to support memory pages (or memory spaces)
- Bug 302628 [breakpoints][cdi] Implement linking of active debug context with selection in Breakpoints view.
- Bug 308835 Multi-thread debugging in regular stop-mode with gdb 6.8 is not working
- Bug 310274 [cdi] GDB (DSF) ignores interrupted remote debug session
Bugs that have been completed for CDT 8.0
- Bug 248595 [breakpoints][cdi] - Add support pending breakpoints introduced in GDB 6.8.