BIRT PMC Minutes - Monday, April 14, 2008
< To: BIRT PMC Minutes
Monday, April 14, 2008 @ 10am Pacific.
- Paul Clenahan - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation
- Mike Fox - BIRT PMC - IBM Corporation
- Wenfeng Li - BIRT PMC Lead - Actuate Corporation
- Scott Rosenbaum - BIRT PMC - Innovent Solutions
- Jason Weathersby - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation
BIRT 2.3 Development
BIRT 2.3 M6 was released on April 9 and is now available for download. Development work for RC0 (aka M7) is now progressing, with RC0 scheduled for Public Access on May 13.
Jason will be posting a New and Notable for M6 later today. Check the "What's New" on BIRT Project home page for a link to the N&N when it becomes available.
BIRT 2.3 is the next major release of BIRT and part of the Eclipse Ganymede Simultaneous Release. BIRT 2.3 is scheduled to be release in June 2008.
The Development Plan for BIRT 2.3 is available on the Eclipse BIRT Project Development Plan pages. The Milestone schedule for the release is available in the timeline section of the Ganymede project page (BIRT is a "+2" project in this schedule).
For a list of bugs assigned to the release, refer to Bugzilla: BIRT 2.3 Assigned Bugs in Bugzilla.
Bi-Directional Support (BiDi)
The development teams are continuing to work on this, with discussion happening within the Bugzilla entries. Note that the code has not yet been submitted for IP review - we are waiting for the discussions to resolve into a close to final contribution.
As long as this work does not change any existing APIs, this continues to be something that is being considered for BIRT 2.3. Depending on progress, a possible approach will be to have some of the work be contributed for BIRT 2.3, with additional changes in BIRT 2.3.x.
Post Meeting Update: The IPZilla Submission has been made. See #2260
For general background on this contribution, refer to the discussion of IBM's potential contribution of BiDi support in BIRT at the Feb 11, 2008 PMC meeting.
The contribution to the project has been submitted as is being tracked via Bugzilla:
Increasing Communication on BIRT Dev Mailing List
We discussed how to increase communiction on the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list in order to supplement existing communication on what is happening within the project. This is in addition to the discussions within Bugzilla, N&N, Newsgroups, etc.
A suggestion was to encourage the development team to post to the newsgroup periodically to highlight discussions, upcoming or recently completed work. Examples:
- Email the newsgroup when a new spec has been posted (on the Eclipse Wiki, or via a Bugzilla entry) in order to draw awareness to the information and solicit community comment.
- Email the newsgroup to draw attention to a particularly interesting Bugzilla discussion where community input would be useful (example: Feedback on a UI discuussion).
- Email the newsgroup when a particular new feature (or partial feature) is completed and available for testing.
The goal is to use the newsgroup as an additional channel to encourage participation in the development process.
- Webinar: Creating Custom BIRT Data Sources on April 18, 2008 - BIRT Exchange
- IBM Rational Software Development Conference 2008 on June 1-5, 2008 - Walt DisneyWorld Swan and Dolphin Hotel, California - 2 Sessions on BIRT
- EclipseWorld 2008 on October 28-30, 2008 - Reston, VA - 2 Sessions on BIRT
|Developing an Eclipse BIRT XML Report Rendering Extension By Jason Weathersby, Iana Chatalbasheva, and Tom Bondur||March 2008||Developer.com|
Full list of major articles can be found on the Wiki page for BIRT Project Articles.
Other articles, tips and techniques, demos and other resoures can be found on the BIRT Exchange community site.