Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Architecture Council/Meetings/September 11 2014
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday September 11, 2014 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|Mylyn:||Steffen Pingel|| |
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |
- In attendance: Marcel Bruch, Maximilian Kögel, Steffen Pingel, Martin O, Denis Roy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper
- Regrets: Neil Hauge
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
Marcel: Update on Error Logging
- Quite confident that everything will be fine until M2
- Reporting bugs directly to bugzilla now - identified based on a fingerprint
- Counting such multiple instances (some handler issues have been reported > 800 times already)
- Marcel reported 15 issues - 5 marked as duplicate, 5 fixed, 5 not yet attended to
- Every committer can subscribe to the bugzilla component as soon as we have it
- By "watching" the errorlog-inbox, or by subscribing to RSS
- Could people subscribe to "their" ID's only somehow ?
- Bundle names are just guessed due to some heuristics, based on the package names in the stacktrace
- AI Marcel send around an E-Mail with example reports
- Some concern that we might get flooded by reports ... currently 2000 already ... need to tweak / tune down the reporting
- Any auto-reported bug can be used as the base for creating "cloned" bugs in the projects / components
- When the "tracking bug" is fixed in bugzilla, the reporter could read out the status and even report back to the user
- Request: please provide feedback and make suggestions
- Right now, the review is done by Marcel ... but hope that project committers will step up once their plugin ID's are reported
Eike: Usage Data Collection
- Working on Oomph and Preference Recorder
- Trying to "learn" which Preference Keys are interesting and which ones are not so interesting
- Would like to understand which Preference Keys users found worthwhile to record, and transfer to other workspaces
- Marcel: First step would be talking to Wayne, who would forward to Mike
- Eike: Is there any precedent ?
- Marcel: Got permission for error reporting ; pending permission for "heartbeat" as part of the privacy plugin done during GSoC
- See Marcel's Blog for details
- AI Eike prepare a little video about the benefit of the envisioned kind of collection, and send to Wayne
Michael: Played with a Stale Plugin
- Forked the code on Github, planning to revive it
- The old version of the plugin is still on the marketplace
- But the original authors are impossible to reach at this time
- Original plugin was hosted on Google Code as Subversion, then forked by somebody on Github
- Cannot contribute code to Eclipse.org , but interested in posting on Marketplace
- Question: How to move on ?
- Martin: Reminds of the TM Terminal (Cloned as Google ELT, then cloned back as TCF Terminals) ... but there the namespace was different
- Sounds like with cloned versions, they would end up as a separate listing on Marketplace ... likely that the active one may bubble up eventually
- Committed now, being used not only for CDT but also for Java
- See Doug's Original Announcement for background
- Also used for Java now (eg launching Eclemma, ...)
- Going to write up some blogs; planning to Demo during the CDT Confcall 2nd Tuesday October
- Goal: Trying to hide Launch Configs, and have them auto-generated with defaults .. aiming at the beginner user
- Other IDE's like XCode do launches in a much simpler way
- Michael: EclipseRunner also deals with Launch Configurations but in a different way (as a hierarchical view, allowing to launch with one click)
- No new action items.
- Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
- (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
- (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
- (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated