The Platform defines the set of frameworks and common services that collectively make up infrastructure required to support the use of Eclipse as a component model, as a Rich Client Platform (RCP) and as a comprehensive tool integration platform. These services and frameworks include a standard workbench user interface model and portable native widget toolkit, a project model for managing resources, automatic resource delta management for incremental compilers and builders, language-independent debug infrastructure, and infrastructure for distributed multi-user versioned resource management.
The Eclipse Platform is divided into component areas as follows:
- Ant - Eclipse/Ant integration
- Workspace (Team, CVS, Compare, Resources) - Platform resource management
- CVS - Platform CVS Integration
- Debug - Generic execution debug framework
- Releng - Release Engineering
- Search - Integrated search facility
- SWT - Standard Widget Toolkit
- Text - Text editor framework
- User Assistance - Help system, initial user experience, cheat sheets etc.
- UI - Platform user interface