User Interface Best Practices Working Group
The mandate of the working group is to help improve the usability across the Eclipse projects that are part of the simultaneous release effort.
We're here to help you make your Eclipse UI better.
To this end, the working group will do the following:
- Facilitate usability discussions within projects and across projects. This may include one or more of the following activities:
- Trigger usability post-mortems to be performed by the different projects
- Conduct regular "show and tells" with UI leads from the projects to shed spotlight on problem areas and promote good ideas as best practices
- Do an end of release UI review and come up with a cross-project list of polish items
- Update the Eclipse User Interface Guidelines.
Details of the activities of this working group can be found here.
- Bob Fraser, BEA (chair)
- Troy Beecroft, BEA
- Wassim Melhem, Embarcadero
- Boris Bokowski, IBM
- Neil Hauge, Oracle
- Michael Scharf, Wind River
- Susan Yeshin, IBM
- Raji Akella, IBM
- Brian Fitzpatrick, Sybase
- Guru Nagarajan, Intel
- Kevin McGuire, IBM
- Dave Mitropoulos-Rundus, Compuware
- Maxime Daniel, Compuware
- Mik Kersten, Tasktop
- Kimberley Peter, IBM
- Jeff Calcaterra, IBM
- Kaloyan Raev, SAP
Everyone is invited to join the mailing list and visit the wiki however, as an official Eclipse Working Group, actual members must be Eclipse Members, i.e., Committer Members or representatives of Member Companies.
To join, simply subscribe to the mailing list and announce your intention to join or you can attend one of the meetings.
email@example.com is the group's mailing list.
Conference Call: Wednesday, November 12th, 18:00 UTC or 10:00 PST. Call 613.287.8000 or 866.362.7064 passcode 892048#
December 10th, '08: STP Policy Editor UI Walkthrough (Renat Zubairov)
October 15th, '08 : Java EE Perspective UI Walkthrough (Kaloyan Raev)
October 1st, '08 : Equinox P2 Walkthrough 2 (Susan Franklin McCourt)
July 23rd '08 : XSL Preferences (David Carver, STAR)
July 9th '08 : Search UI pain points walkthrough (Bogdan Vatkov)
June 25th '08 : Equinox P2 Walkthrough (Susan Franklin McCourt)
May 28th '08 : WTP Facets Walkthrough (Kaloyan Raev)
September 5th, '07 : Notifications (Kimberley Peter)
Guideline Bug Reports
Bugs can be logged against the guidelines. The guidelines are out of date and need your help. If you find a section that is out of date, please take a moment to file a bug report. And of course, any edits to the guidelines is appreciated.
- Meeting Minutes
- Charter Related Activities
- Bugs Reported Against the Guidelines
- User Interface Guidelines (v2.1) with 3.x updates
- User Interface Guidelines (v2.1)
- Drafts of ongoing updates for UI Best Practices v3.x -- TEMPORARY -- The content of this page is in the progress of being merged with the v2.1 Guidelines.
- Top Ten Eclipse UI Guidelines
- Process for Updating the UI Best Practices Guidelines
- Template file for adding to the UI Best Practices
- Discussion about UI Guidelines -- Ongoing discussion, proposals, and sandboxes for the UI guidelines
- Accessibility Features in the Platform UI
- Features Added for 3.3 in the Platform UI
- UI Checklist
- Participate in a UI Walkthrough
The EMO was instructed by the Board on July 19, 2006 to facilitate the creation of this working group. Each Strategic Developer member will make a good faith effort to find a resource within their firm to contribute to the working group, one of whom will act as the chair. Other members may also contribute.
The EMO will add conformance to the UI Guidelines as a Release Review exit criterion.