TPTP Project Ramp Down Policy for Europa
Ramp down for Europa
Typically the last week of a Milestone is for testing, and fixing only regressions and P1 or blocking defects. For milestones, the component lead (or delegate) is enough to review and approve a bug.
For M6, we plan to be functionally and API complete and the remaining Release Candidates are for (only) fixing bugs, or fixing release required items (such as version numbers, licensing, etc.). An exception to this general rule will exist for the JVMTI support and performance improvement work related to the Integrated Agent Controller, as well as Build To Manage technical preview tooling. These functions will work on enhancements and other polish items will be allowed until RC0 (May 18th).
From M6 to RC0 on May 18th, we expect each component lead (or delegate) to review and verify their teams' bugs.
After the first RC is produced, other RCs will be produced, if needed, every week.
After the first RC is produced, the time for general functional improvements is long past. The following describes the types of bugs that would be appropriate:
- A regression
- A P1 or P2 bug, one that is blocking or critical, and some cases of major severities.
- Documentation and PII files are exceptions to the normal PMC required review, since there is little chance of that breaking anything, though it is still expected to be complete by M6, and remaining work to be only documentation fixes (that is, no refactoring of plugins, build changes, etc, without PMC review and approval).
- In addition to a bug meeting the above priority/severity conditions, there should be a simple, safe, well understood fix that is well isolated from effecting other components, that doesn't affect API or adopters, that has been well reviewed and well tested.
- As each Release Candidate passes, the criteria for weighing the benefit-to-risk ratio criteria gets higher and higher, and as such requires a larger number of PMC members to review.
- May 18th, RC0 produced
- After the 18th, besides the normal component team review, at least 1 PMC member must also review and vote +1 after reviewing the bug for appropriateness and risk.
- May 25
- June 1
- After June 1, besides the normal component team review, at least 2 PMC members must also review and vote +1 after reviewing the bug for appropriateness and risk.
- June 8
- June 15
- After the 15th, besides the normal component team review, at least 3 PMC member must also review and vote +1 after reviewing the bug for appropriateness and risk.
- June 22
- Do zip, update, site preparations
- June 29
Exceptions to being Feature Complete in M6
This section lists features in plan for Europa that did not make M6, as planned. All these features can be finished up in the RC0 cycle and will be included in RC0. In preparation for delivering a translatable release and closing on the new function in the timeline we had planned for, we had made sure that all of the new properties strings used in the UI by these enhancements are checked in before April 06. New strings generated after this time will be reviewed and approved using the mustfix approval process.
The following main features are still to be completed during RC0.
- TPTP Platform Project
- JVMTI profiling support. TPTP profiler (based on JVMTI) will be the prime Java profiler in 4.4 and will offer profiling and code instrumentation support for Java 1.5 and higher. The previous PI based profiler will be maintained for Java 1.4 and older support. Some of the features tracking this enhancement are still under development:
- Improving the execution runtime performance
- 173330:Replace current IAC with new AC technology This new enhancement will provide a more performant Integrated Agent Controller as well as a simpler and more effective solution for using the profiling and testing tools. With this approach, the user doesn’t have to install, configure, and start the Agent Controller.
- Test Project
- Improved scalability to the Test tools by offering additional support for RDB backed execution histories. This work is managed as part of the platform enhancement since this is where the bulk of the work resides.
- Monitoring Project
- Build to Manage technical preview functions
The following technology preview feature is to be completed to coincide with the release of Europa but is not part of the Europa Release.