- October 25, 2007
- Alexander Bernstein
- Joe Toomey
- Paul Slauenwhite
- Jerome Bozier
- Jerome Gout
- Kurtis Martin
- Dawn Peters
- Review of enhancement 166025 (Move, Copy, Delete, Rename and Import/Export test assets) to revisit this topic, design, and implementation for transitioning to Jerome B. and review for others.
- The Test Model stores relative references for linkages between test assets (for example, test execution results references a test suite).
- When test assets are moved, copied, deleted, renamed, and imported/exported, the references need to be updated.
- Generic solution for all TPTP models (test, trace, log, and statistical).
- Recovery of broken references. For example, referenced resource is missing or not loaded.
- Not dependant on the Test Perspective/Test navigator.
- Jerome G. partially implemented a solution in TPTP 4.3 (September 2006):
- Handles the delete, move, and rename use cases in the Test Navigator.
- Requires the copy/paste and import/export use cases.
- Uses the proxy nodes in the Test Navigator:
- One proxy node per test suite is loaded to display a minimal amount of information for the tree in the Test Navigator.
- The information is cached in a marker.
- When Eclipse is started, only the proxy is loaded from the marker file, not the EMF resource.
- The proxy stores a bi-directional reference between test assets that is updated for every copy and paste operation in the Test Navigator.
- Proposed Design:
- Proxy provides APIs for each operation that consumer can extend to contribute actions.
- Actions would compensate for the side effect (for example, updating references when a test asset is copied) based on the operation.
- An extension would allow consumers to specify the relationship between test assets.
- The bi-directional reference between test assets in proxy would be updated based on the relationships defined in the extension point.
- When test assets are copied/pasted, unique IDs will be regenerated.
- Manipulating test assets outside of the Test Navigator (for example, Resource Perspective or file system).
- Partial solution only applicable for the Test Model.
- Partial solution is not a generic solution. The other TPTP models (log, trace, and statistical) may not even use references in their model.
- Requires a call-back for every operation.
- Compatibility preservation for extension point.
- How to handle references to unsupported test assets.
- Performance and scalability (for example, using the TPTP test bucket).
- Jerome B. to address concerns in the Description Document.
- Jerome B. to define the core use cases (move, copy, delete, rename, and import/export) in the Description Document.
- Jerome G. will attach the partial implementation to the Bugzilla 166025.
- Paul will confirm if the other TPTP models (log, trace, and statistical) use references in their model.