SMILA/FREE BEER, SMILA Branch
freebeer.org offers a recipe for an Open Source beer, i.e. the recipe is provided under a creative commons share alike licence. The current version was created by superflex and the Danish microbrewery Skands.
The "SMILA Branch" of this recipe is in conformity with the German Reinheitsgebot. The recipe below was provided by Andreas Schlichting.
Recipe for SMILA Special Free:
- 6 kg Pilsner Malt(4-5 EBC)
- 2 kg Caramel Malt (25 EBC)
- 2 kg Munich Malt (40 EBC)
- 1st Dosage: 10 g Hallertauer Taurus (ca. 15 % Alpha)
- 2nd Dosage: 6 g Hallertauer Magnum (ca. 12 % Alpha)
- 3rd Dosage: 10 g Tettnanger (ca. 4,5 % Alpha)
50 Liter of water (soft water)) Yeast 20 g Sort: BREWFERM LAGER
Crush the malt (fine grind 60%/crude grind 40 %)
- Mash in at 35°C, let 5 min. rest
- Heat up to 52 °C, let 25 min. protein rest
- Heat up to 65 °C, let 30 min. 1:sugar rest
- Heat up to 72 °C, let 30 min. 2. sugar rest
- Heat up to 79 °C, let 10 min. rest for enzyme deactivation
Purification (separation of worth and malt rests)
Additional water 2 times 2,5 liters of water with 80°C let it flow through the malt rests. Measure the content of sugar 10-11% of worth
Boil the worth: Time 90 min.
- after 10 min. Dosage: 10 g Hallertauer Taurus (ca. 15 % Alpha)
- after 45 min. Dosage: 6 g Hallertauer Magnum (ca. 12 % Alpha)
- after 80 min. aroma-dosage: 10 g Tettnanger (ca. 4,5 % Alpha)
After 90 min. end of boiling. Cool down (ca. 20-25°C) with an appropriate device. Fill 2,6 Liter of worth in a can and freeze. Add yeast. Main fermentation takes 4-5 days with 20°C.
Filling: Unfreeze the worth and add it in a clean barrel fill it up with the beer.
Keep the barrel warm for 2 more days (20°C). Then chill it as cold as possible 2-6°C for 3-4 weeks. Finish.
Work very hygienic!!!!!
As the original FREE BEER, the SMILA Version of FREE BEER ist provided under the creative commons share alike licence.