Jump to: navigation, search

PTP/meetings/January 2011

< PTP‎ | meetings

January 2011 Meeting

Date: January 11, 2011 Time: 1:00 PM EST

Call in information:

Toll Free (US): 888-426-6840
Toll Free (Germany): 0800-000-1018
Toll Free (UK): 0808-234-5071
Passcode: 2221402

Agenda

  1. Status Reports
    • Next builds, releases
    • RDT and remote status
    • Resource Managers
    • PLDT
    • ETFw, other tool integrations (GEM, PPW, etc.)
    • Photran
    • PTP Users info
      • PTP users call 4th Wed 2pm ET
    • Other PTP contributions
  2. Other Business
  3. Next meeting - February 8, 2011

Attendees

  • Greg Watson, IBM
  • Beth Tibbitts, IBM
  • Wyatt Spear, U.Oregon
  • Dave Wootton, IBM
  • Jay Alameda, NCSA
  • Jeff Overbey, UIUC
  • Al Rossi, NCSA
  • Chris Recoskie, IBM
  • Mike Lindo, IBM
  • Alan Humphrey, U.Utah

Minutes

  • PTP 4.0 - Helios
    • Helios SR2 is Feb 25 - we will release a 4.0.6 with this
    • Beth would like to have a (new) separate ETFw-feedback feature, if it doesn't break anything (for ease of upgrading just that part), will discuss with Greg
  • PTP 5.0 Indigo
    • M5+2 Feb 8
    • MS 6+2 March 15 API Freeze
    • MS 7+2 May 3 Feature freeze
  • EPP Parallel Package - Beth will make a wiki page to list what's included, etc
    • Tests for each platform: Jay, Windows; Greg and Beth, Mac; Wyatt, Linux; Galen, Linux on Power -- all tested the first build.
    • Test first on a fresh workspace. Then it's good to test on existing workspaces, both from Helios and Indigo. Note that you probably can't go BACK to Helios once a ws is loaded into Indigo.
    • RDT workspace corruption problem? Al posted to ptp-dev, will open a bugzilla bug to track.
  • New Resource Managers - JAXP required by Juelich-contributed code (XML to Java classes) - not in Java 1.5 but is in 1.6. So certain parts of PTP will rely on 1.6. Is this a problem for anyone? Chris objects for RDT. Perhaps only parts of PTP would build with Java 1.6? Can we include JAXP in our distribution? So that we don't require Java 1.6? Greg will ask Eclipse Foundation.
  • RDT - Chris R
    • was testing Remote Tools with RDT - some defects were found. Still need to review the bugs by developers.
    • working on allowing configuration of what refreshes (after a build?) to be smarter about what refreshes, starting with indigo.
    • hope to do remote GNU tool chain
    • IBM is not picking up Eclipse 3.7 (Indigo) for its products - skipping it
    • Photran/Jeff: have you looked at remote projects and include location issues for the new remote design? (synchronization) - Matt will be looking at C preprocessor but hasn't started yet.
  • Resource Managers
    • This is the main area for scalability work. Splitting between control (Al Rossi) and monitoring (Juelich) - much of the scaling isin the monitoring part. A single resource manager wil lexisting , with config files to work with any job scheduler.
    • Juelich has a java version of their code; porting the Swing to SWT.
    • Greg is abstracting out/redesigning PTP to do a similar split on current implementation. Will post when split is complete so we can test if things still work identically, before switch to new code.
  • GEM
    • GEM changes by Alan: EFS (so remote should work?) and Browser view added. Code change was large enough that a CQ was created. Waiting on IP team to review. After that he will do the rest of the remote-enabling.
      • HPC class at Utah teaches graduate-level MPI on 32 node linux cluster. Alan supports the cluster for the class. Class will use GEM, hope to teach/introduce PTP as well. Alan will keep us posted on ptp-dev.
  • ETFw - Wyatt
    • not alot of headway on remote-enabling. Since no feature or API change required, should be able to get the changes in for Indigo - since mid/late May deadline gives him more time.
  • Photran - Jeff
    • 6 refactorings have CQs open. Results of students in software engineering class.
    • Jeff working on Indexer. Should be about 2x faster. Matt Fetzler has been rehired, working on Photran again.
  • PTP Users call - 4th Wednesday of each month, 2pm ET. First call is Jan 26. Chaired by Jay Alameda.
    • Grant group focusing on making PTP more usable by users. Also plan to have a workshop once a year, invite the more active users.
  • Next meeting is February 8