What particular challenges do mobile developers face?
- Browser on another device
- Size constraints such as screen dimensions/resolution
- CSS media query to find out device characteristics
- Device profiles
- What native JS libraries are available on that device
- Drive content assist and error reporting from those profile definitions
- Pure web vs hybrid web/native applications
- Simulation libraries for various native APIs
- Developers don't always have access to all the physical deployment devices
- Firefox plugins exist for emulating various mobile devices
- Security, signing of applications
- Package manifest files
- Each mobile platform defines their own manifest format
- WAC - common runtime for all devices
What does mobile need from Orion?
- Extend editor
- What formats are available for API definitions: JSDoc is popular
- Wizard for configuration
- Pulling together the different libraries needed for mobile development
- Something like initializr but for mobile projects
Simplify workflow of edit/emulate cycle
Missing piece: pushing application to a physical device necessarily requires downloading the app from orion to the desktop and then using device software to push app.