Orbit/Adding Bundles To Orbit In 5 Minutes
For the long version See Adding Bundles to Orbit
This is for primarily meant as a guide for contributing a bundle to make its way into a release. This guide assumes all the steps to get approval for the bundle itself have already been performed.
See https://git.eclipse.org/c/orbit/orbit-recipes.git/tree/README.md for a more thorough explanation
- Clone the orbit-recipes git repository
- Choose a folder under which to create the recipe and then create it there
$ cd github/mongodb $ mvn ebr:create-recipe -DgroupId=org.mongodb -DartifactId=mongo-java-driver -Dversion=3.4.1 -DbundleSymbolicName=org.mongodb.mongo-java-driver
- Modify recipe pom and osgi.bnd to suite the needs of the bundle. If the bundles has dependencies, make sure to specify them under the Import-Package header in the osgi.bnd as opposed to just leaving it as '*;resolution:=optional'.
$ cd org.mongodb.mongo-java-driver_3.4.1 $ $EDITOR pom.xml $ $EDITOR osgi.bnd
- Perform a test build of the package to have an ip_log.xml file generated. Fill in the missing information (Name, Email, Company, Ipzilla Bug Id), into the ip_log.xml file. Note that the Ipzilla Bug Id must be an Add-To-Orbit (ATO) CQ.
$ mvn -U clean package -DdirtyWorkingTree=warning $ $EDITOR src/eclipse/ip_log.xml
Add To Build
- Add the new recipe to the category pom as a module
$ cd ../ $ $EDITOR pom.xml
- Add the recipe bundle to the aggregation feature to ensure it ends up in the generated repository
$ cd ../../ $ EDITOR releng/aggregationfeature/feature.xml
<plugin id="org.mongodb.mongo-java-driver" version="3.4.1.qualifier"/>)
- Add and commit the new recipe and changes to the aggregation feature. Be sure to reference the ATO CQ in your commit message.
$ git add github/mongodb/org.mongodb.mongo-java-driver_3.4.1 releng/aggregationfeature/feature.xml $ git commit
Building Locally (Recommended)
- We should also test that our new recipe builds successfully prior to submitting for review
First we test that our recipe builds alongside all other recipes and install them locally to be discovered later by our aggregation feature
$ mvn clean install
Next we test that the aggregation feature builds successfully
$ mvn clean install -f releng/aggregationfeature/pom.xml
Finally, we test that the generated repository containing all bundle recipes builds successfully
$ mvn clean package -f releng/repository/pom.xml
- Lastly, we push to review
$ git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master
Once a change has been reviewed and approved, a build should be triggered within about an hour at https://ci.eclipse.org/orbit/job/orbit-recipes/ . Once the build succeeds, information about where to find the build page, as well as the generated p2 repository can be found at the bottom of the build's logs.
The automated builds are analogous to nightly builds, in that they are not usually retained for long and are generally used merely for testing purposes. For more stable repositories, committers have the ability to push integration, milestone, and recommended (I, S, R) builds that can also be promoted to the downloads page for visibility.
Manual Build And Promotion
To manually trigger/promote a build, you must be logged in with your committer account on the Orbit JIPP page.
Go to the orbit-recipes job on the JIPP, and while logged in with your committer account, click "Build With Parameters". Change the
BUILD_LABEL to whichever build label is desired ('I', 'S', 'M', 'R' are recognized). Generally the other parameters should be left as they are. Now wait for the build to complete.
To promote this newly created build to the downloads page, go to the promote-to-downloads job on the JIPP, and while logged in with your committer account, click "Build Now". Change the
SRC_LOCATION parameter to the path to your builds directory relative to
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/. For example, if your build was
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/I-builds/I20170425174753/, then the SRC_LOCATION would be
Once this is completed, you should be able to see your build on the Orbit downloads page