Jump to: navigation, search

Equinox p2 Meeting 20080128

See Equinox p2 Meetings for complete index.

Agenda

  • Where are we at wrt to our M5 goals?
    • Are we adding support for source.bundles.txt?
    • Do we want to review the namespaces and id used in MD (e.g.: osgi.packages, flavor, etc.)?
    • Do we change the JRE level?
    • Translation?
  • What will be the shape of the other downloads: RCP, delta packs?

Attendees

  • John Arthorne
  • DJ Houghton
  • Simon Kaegi
  • Susan McCourt
  • Tim Mok
  • Andrew Overholt
  • Pascal Rapicault
  • Dave Stevenson
  • Curtis Windatt
  • Darin Wright

Minutes

  • Graduation review
    • scheduled for Feb 13
    • ip log + slides need to be ready for Feb 6
    • not clear whether we have to do package renames before graduation
    • PMC questions - compatibility, install shape, layering UM on p2
  • Eclipse M5
    • where are we at?
    • simon has released profile delta code
    • still need to change the Director API because it doesn't handle property changes, only IU level changes
    • Director should be updated to match the API changes in the Planner
    • do we really need the director API? its an aggregator to avoid multiple calls for headless stuff
    • need to clean up the Engine#perform method... too many operand arguments in the API
    • tighten up the api of the profile in the profile registry
  • Performance
    • we added individual source bundles to the build which slowed things down
    • how to fix this in p2?
    • we aren't going to put the source bundles into the bundles.txt
    • pde isn't happy because it can't find the source bundles anymore (looks in the bundles.txt)
    • old-style install isn't happy because the source features can't find the source bundles so the dependancies aren't satisfied
    • talked about having a source-bundles.txt which contains the list of source bundles
    • can modify PDE to look at this file
    • would have to update UM to look into this file too
    • what happens at uninstall time? what happens when you uninstall the source feature?
    • PDE might be out of sync if there is an uninstall and the user doesn't restart
    • probably has the same problem today
    • do we want to write the source-bundles.txt for M5?
    • we will try to do it - Pascal to investigate
  • Installer
    • john created it
    • working with Kim on getting it included in the build
    • hard to get content to test it with
    • update site is stale... contains stale metadata
    • had 6 builds listed but only artifacts for 2 or 3
    • brings in all optional dependencies which aren't singletons
  • Builds
    • how often do we want to run our builds?
    • have to run from tags
    • 9pm Ottawa time
    • Pascal to tag
  • UI work
    • looking ok for M5
    • clean-up inside the UI
    • is anyone working on the code to switch between the old and new UI?
    • Tim to work on that (not started yet)
  • Signature verification and trusting
    • Tim working on this right now
    • caching JARs locally done, awaiting to be reviewed
    • Pascal to review
  • Running the manual tests
    • Simon to run them
    • Andrew to run on linux
    • wait to run them on the tues i-build
  • Translation
    • Dave looking at this
    • will prob be able to get the metadata generated for it (for M5)
    • Dave and Susan to sync up w.r.t. what this means to the ui
    • would like to have a pseudo-translation available for testing
  • JRE
    • Simon to change the level of the JRE that we are shipping with
    • we should change the description so people who are using 1.6, are able to run with it
    • would be nice to be able to ship with a JRE (download it)
    • also need to discover what the user is running with
    • can point to a JRE dir and run the generator and it will zip it up but in this it can't figure out that its a JRE, only a native thing
  • Update Manager compatibility
    • DJ needs another set of eyes to look at the reconciler
    • problems when adding the dropins bundle to a provisioned SDK
  • Products
    • product iu from product metadata
    • Pascal to ask Andrew to look into this
  • MAC
    • support for mac launching
    • Pascal to get help with this
  • Delivering a provisioned SDK
    • would like to have a provisioned SDK available as a download
    • time permitting for M5
  • pack200
    • support for pack200 is now in
    • need to verify we do the right things, download the right files, put them in the right place, etc.
  • Shape of downloads
    • currently we have JDT, PDE, etc downloads
    • zip files which you extract over-top a platform install
    • are they relevant in p2?
    • p2 requires the bundles.txt file to be updated
    • if someone is creating a custom product based on multiple zips from Eclipse, then these zips would still be useful
    • ideally, they should be obsolete
  • Shared install
    • coming along ok
    • ran into a few problems
    • Andrew to provide patch to Simon w.r.t. profile properties