Jump to: navigation, search

Equinox/p2/Meetings/20090105

< Equinox‎ | p2‎ | Meetings

Agenda

  • Are we ready for tagging for tomorrow?
  • Which version of ECF in 3.4.2?
  • Plan review
    • Note that we have nothing promoting bundle pooling
  • Bug 224145 (Software Update must allow to install plug-ins into extension location), any particular desire from eclipsesource to fix it?
  • Who is authoring tests for bogus http server?
  • Install handler mechanism
  • Metadata interfaces (how to spec hashcode)
  • API notice for new metadata interfaces
  • DB Backed repositories (Transparent Queries, Simplified collector, Collectors as Futures) [[1]]

Attendees

  • Andrew N
  • Curtis
  • Darin
  • DJ
  • Ian
  • Jed
  • Jeff
  • John A.
  • Pascal
  • Scott
  • Simon
  • Susan
  • Thomas H.
  • Tom

Minutes

  • Are we ready for tagging for tomorrow
    • We are tagging since PDE Build and PDE UI are fine with the changes
  • Which version of ECF in 3.4.2?
    • ECF will be provided ECF 2.1 in the Ganymede Winter release
    • The most relevant change for p2 is related to caching done by proxies
    • There is a risk around support added for gzipped connections.
    • ECF has no automated tests for these things
    • Pascal to add a test in p2 for this kind of test
  • Bug 224145 (Software Update must allow to install plug-ins into extension location), any particular desire to fix it?
    • Jeff pinged the bug to get ppl to express their usecases because he felt that ppl were asking for the same old mechanism to be reintroduced but what this allowed was misunderstood
    • Ppl have started expressing requirements on the wiki: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Location_selection_scenarios
    • During the call we came up with the following usecases:
      • Recovering from a broken install, how do I re-install the same plug-ins
      • Ease of installing the same software in another instance
    • Some of these scenarios are currently covered, it is just by another mean. We need to come up with a document describing how to do things.
  • Who is authoring tests for bogus http server?
    • Pascal found how the httpclient guys are testing. They have some infrastructure that could be reused.
    • ECF team is busy and has no automated tests.
    • Pascal will look at contributing some starting points tests to simulate misbehaving servers
  • Install handler mechanism
    • Pascal to take that offline with Henrik.
  • Metadata interfaces (how to spec hashcode)
    • Hashcode will be specified as part of the API
    • Ian noticed some problems with some equals and hashcode methods
  • API notice for new metadata interfaces
    • @noImplement will be picked.
    • Ian is worried that the p2 code will try to downcast because of this.
    • Pascal suggested that a test needed to be added to verify against that. Ian will write a test installing an IU.
  • DB Backed repositories (Transparent Queries, Simplified collector, Collectors as Futures)
    • Ian has written a proposal to improve querying on "slow/remote/big" repos [2]
    • Simon said that we should look at the API for ADO / JDBC because they have the same problems
    • Ian to keep on working on the proposal.
    • No timeline decided for it.
  • Omni Version support
    • Thomas H mentioned that the implementation of the Omni version was pretty close to be done
    • Next step is to get rid of our usage of the OSGi resolver to attach CUs.
      • We need to coordinate with Jed / Daniel to see if we are not stepping on their toes**