Face 2 Face Meeting Logistics
Date: Monday, March 23, 2009
Location: Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, Camino Real Room For a directions, please see the Hotel Map.
Agenda: Face-to-Face Meeting of the Pulsar Workgroup
Please Note, Monday is also the day of the Eclipse Members Meeting.
The Mobile Industry Working Group meeting is parallel to the "New Member Jumpstart" meeting, assuming most members of the EMIWG have been longer time members in Eclipse.
- RIM: Cassidy Gentle, Daniel Mteescu, Jon Deardon, Ken Wallis, Adam Abramski
- Mot: Dino Brusco, Christian Kurzke, Lori Fraleigh, Eric Cloninger, Eric Hildum, Gustavo Paula, Diego
- Craig Setera
- S-E: Not attending
- Symbian Foundation: Lars
- Genuitec: Wayne Parrott
- IBM: Not attending
- Nokia: Ronnie King
- Eclipse: Ian Skerett, Nathan
Review Meeting Agenda (Draft v3.0) (Dino: 9:00 - 9:15)
9:00 - 9:15 Welcome and Round Table introductions
Brief Overview of Pulsar: Components, Roles and Responsibilities (Christian: 9:15 - 9:30)
(Slides to be uploaded)
Create a common language for the meeting, define Components and Roles
- Pulsar IDE extensions
- Pulsar Packaged Product
- Pulsar SDK extensions
- Pulsar Server Hosting infrastructure
- Login to servers
- Pulsar deployment and testing
- Of the packaged IDE Product
- Of the SDK extension packs
Discussion: Legal concerns about Pulsar P2 concept - Action Item #1 – Dino to provide update from IP Advisory committee
Strategy Workshop - The Four Pillars of Focus (Dino: 9:30-10:00)
Roadmap - Strawman of Roadmap
- Survey – Priorities, JavaME, Web, Native, Other
- What is our strategy to combine Java/Native/Web development focus
- Parallel workstreams? How to maximize synergy
- Goal: (1) download covering all 3 areas, or separate downloads?
Pulsar Platform Roadmap Discussion – Dino
Document roadmap – Java + web + native;
- Should describe “Java” environment which would include Blackberry Java and JavaME
- Consensus was that Roadmap priority was Java (& JavaME) = #1, Web = #2. There was also interest expressed in Native (Lars).
- Genuitec – Coming from enterprise development perspective - developers asking for web tools for iPhone, etc. Gave brief overview of Blinky project (aka Firefly) html5, css3, high-perf javascipt
- Also, RIM led discussion asking “to what extent should Pulsar roadmap include server-side components (eg J2EE, web tools, etc). “ One option discussed was to not bundle server-side tooling with Pulsar, but rather let developers configure as they require.
Action Item #2 – Dino to lead formation of Pulsar Roadmap team responsible for creating and maintaining a roadmap document/wiki. Dino and Christian to put strawman on wiki. Need Volunteers to participate .
- how to add web development on the same environment? should this be on the standard? should this be downloaded? we can define a PulsarServer Dev. Package IU on the pulsar server that download the server tools - if it has only eclipse project thats ok and it is not complex to do - if there is non-eclipse projects, then htis need to be hosted by someone externally (maybe by the sdk provider) focus on the use case define the use cases (mobile only, e2e, server only, native, etc.) present the use cases to the user the user select what he wants to do download the necessary components to do that
- how to add "Pulsar" do an existing eclipse distribution? this might not be possible because of the p2 actions (there is already a bug on equinox) If the WG feels this is a priority, someone needs to take the lead on creating a use-case.
Product, Pulsar Platform Implementation
- Topics covered in Technical Work stream
Best Practices (relevant to Application developer) - Brainstorm
- Test Suites (might include references to Java Verified, etc)
- Sample code
- Technical Support forums
Promotion – Brainstorm
- First step – Pulsar microsite?
- Pulsar platform – Branding (eg OEM SDKs)
- Are we going to have a Pulsar Logo? (volunteers?)
- What are our needs
- How do we address them
- Packaged Product Configuration
- Splash Screen, etc.
Discussion: Pulsar Promotion
- Micro-site – Nathan/Eclipse to implement but needs content
- Staging site will be available
- Final go live date is 6/25;
Action Item #3 - Ian to lead sub-team on web content creation
* phase 1 (prior to release of Pulsar Platform): Web site could be descriptive of SDK providers in Pulsar Beta; * Add Pulsar Overview preso to Pulsar micro-site. – Dino & Ian
Review of past Action Items (10:00 - 10:15)
Device properties Database
Craig, Gorkam to update team: Can Craig contribute an initial dataset?
Craig – Device database –willing to contribute.
- Server side should look at UAprof to dynamically determine devices capabilities
- Client-side – device database would be useful
- How can it relate to pulsar tooling?
- Should be at pulsar platform level – crosses all dev environments
- May require creation of a new project
Action Item #4 – Craig; Work with the Technical Workstream to define next steps
Technical Workshop (With Scope of the Galileo Time Frame) (Christian, Gustavo: 10:15 - 12:00)
Pulsar "readiness" of MTJ (10:15 - 10:30)
Pulsar Galileo Packaged Product (10:30 - 11:00)
Discussion: Pulsar Platform Demo - Gustavo
* Can p2 do status polls on sdks to see if they change/update? Genuitec does this with p2-based commercial product. * Pulsar references metadata on pulsar server first (before going to SDK provider server) * Issue: User must sign-on to sdk provider site before agree to license agreement.
Action Item #5 – Wayne (Genuitec) - Provide update on P2 project (Genuitec has a few developers with deep experience) on p2 tooling for creation of metadata for sdk executables.
- Demo of prototype implementation
- Comparison Demo vs. "ideal" Pulsar Product
- List of to-do tasks
Pulsar SDK Extension Packs (11:00 - 11:30 )
- How to create
- How to host
- What the SDK providers need to watch out for
Pulsar Server Setup & Maintainance (11:30 - 11:45)
- Who has control over "Pulsar SDK Extension Pack" updates?
- Integration Testing?
Wrap Up, Action Items (11:45-12:00)
Here is a consolidated list of action items out of meeting: (some repeated from above)
Action Item #1 (Dino) to provide update from IP Advisory committee on the issues: IP separation using P2 servers? is Eclipse ok to link/refer to vendor servers
Action Item #2 (Dino) to lead formation of Pulsar Roadmap team responsible for creating and maintaining a roadmap document/wiki. Dino and Christian to put strawman on wiki. Need Volunteers to participate .
Action Item #3 (Ian) to lead sub-team on web content creation
- phase 1 (prior to release of Pulsar Platform): Web site could be descriptive of SDK providers in Pulsar Beta;
- Add Pulsar Overview preso to Pulsar micro-site. – Dino & Ian
Action Item #4 (Craig) Work with the Technical Workstream to define next steps
Action Item #5 (Wayne/Genuitec) Provide update on P2 project (Genuitec has a few developers with deep experience) on p2 tooling for creation of metadata for sdk executables.
Action Item #6 (Ian) do p2 users expect polling for updates turned off as default? How do other Packages handle this? (Default on or off)
Phase 1 Beta Release Option: Could embed url’s to sdks in pulsar beta release. Pulsar would be pre-packaged with urls of SDK providers (p2 discovery would be done in phase 2)
Action Item #7 (Ian) post on the maillist a description of the Phase 1 Option of embedded URLs and ask if any other members (beside RIM and Motorola) are interested in participating in the beta release and, if so, provide the names of the technical resources to be assigned. Final list required by April 15th.
Action Item #8 (Gustavo/Christian) – Provide a draft of the “Pulsar Guidelines for SDK providers”. This document would outline, the technical requirements, testing and support requirements, and delivery processes for each new release/update of an SDK. Include a checklist with criteria to add new sdk providers.
Action Item # 9 (Christian) – Provide a draft of the “Pulsar Guidelines for the Pulsar Packaged Distribution”. This is from the perspective of the Pulsar server. This document would outline, the technical requirements, testing and support requirements, and posting processes for each new release/update of the Pulsar packaged distribution. Could the EPP have a model for this process?
Action Item #10 (Gustavo) – provide a description (and effort estimate) for a minimal QuickInstall view for the Phase 1 beta release. There would be no Pulsar server (embedded URLs). Could add links to SDK providers’ sites for developer log-ins.