Evolution Specification: Groups UI
Current status is DRAFT
Summary: Provide a way for user to choose its default groups.
In EMF Compare, "Groups" are used to structure the StructureContentView. They can be provided by extension point however to add complentary behavior. For the moment a user is not able to activate a groups by default. Each time EMF Compare UI is launched. The same group is activated. It would be nice if the user could rank groups to define default group to use.
Preference default group
- The user should be able to rank groups from preferences to define which will be the default group to use
- The user should be able to define different ranking regarding the comparison type (2 or 3 way).
Dynamic setting of default groups
- When a user change the selected group in EMF Compare.
- The user should be able to define its new selection as default group.
- The used should be able to define an automatic behavior (To avoid being asked each time).
- The user can choose to synchronize the current group selection with the preferences
- The user can choose to desynchronize the current group selection with the preferences
- The used should be able to modify/remove the automatic behavior
- If "Never" is selected then the selection into the UI will not modify any preference and the user will not be asked if he wants to synchronize it
- If "Always" is selected then the seleciton into the UI will automatically update the preference.
- If "Ask each Time" is selected the a popup will appear each time the user change a group into EMF Compare UI
- The preference page should be updated with automatic behavior.
- Let's say that the user has selected automatic behavior. Then he launches a comparison an select Group1 for a two way comparison. The preference page shall display Group1 has the fist element in the ranked list.
- This setting will only apply for the current comparison type (two or three way).
Here are the labels and description for the default elements:
"By Side" Description: Differences will be grouped by side (Left, Right or Conflict)
"Default" Description: Default EMF Compare groups. Display differences into using model hierarchy.
"By Kind" Description: Differences will be grouped by kind (Addition, Removal or Change)
"By Resource" Description: Differences will be grouped by resources. Each EMF resource will hold its differences.
Dynamic settings: Solution 1: